Service & Maintenance Oil filter torque setting

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by matt park, Thursday 23rd Jun, 2016.

1. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    I've just done the oil and oil filter on my accord. What torque setting should i use on the oil filter?

On the filter itself it said between 10-14nM. Is that enough? I set my wrench to 13 and gave it an extra little tug after it clicked.

The drain bolt i tightened to 44nM which is what it states in the manual.

Any thoughts?

2. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Personally I've never heard of a torque setting for an oil filter, but I'm sure there is. I've always filled filter with oil, oiled the rubber seal and screwed it in hand tight. That of course may not be suited to your model.

Fiskekutteren likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    12Nm if about right for an oil filter you don't won't over tighten it the oil seal will get damaged and you will get leaks.

matt park likes this.
  4. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Ok. Ta lads

5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    right with 13nm for oil filter and 44nm for bolt.

matt park likes this.
  6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

abit late I know. When I do oil changes on my cars (and others I look after) the oil filter gets abit of oil on the new seal and then hand tightened, but I never use a wrench to tighten them, as stated it could damage that seal. As for the drain bolt. I never torque that either, just make sure its nice and snug with a fresh crush washer so it doesn't leak.