Engine & Gearbox Oil leak around the gearbox drivesaft area.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by sawf1, Wednesday 7th Sep, 2016.

1. sawf1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Poole
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to trace an oil leak that is dripping down from somewhere above the transmission case. I may have found the culprit (still not convinced as it doesn't seem to be enough of a leak for the amount of oil) but I am not sure what these bolts pictured are for, or what the part is they are attached to. Does anyone out there know?
    IMG_20160821_105654.

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 7th Sep, 2016
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Possibly gearbox oil coming from driveshaft seal.

If it's that then driveshafts need to come out, need seals installed, driveshafts fitted and then gearbox oil drained and fresh oil put in up to correct level.
    - - - Updated - - -
    The big bolts are for the gearbox and engine rear mount.

Nels likes this.
  3. sawf1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks speedy but I've checked around the driveshafts and they don't appear to be leaking. Unfortunately whoever serviced the car before I had it seems to have made a right mess as there is oil everywhere, which makes it hard to find leaks. I will take another look after work.

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    In that case maybe start off with cleaning the under belly with a can of engine degreaser. I did the same when I was trying to find the source of oil leak under the gearbox of the Jazz. Oil was everywhere with no apparent source so I put it up on stands and just emptied a whole can and agitated with a cheap paint brush from poundland as the leak was there for a while and with road grime it was baked on.. Once cleaned I checked back 2 days later and found the oil was coming from INSIDE the inspection cover.

5. sawf1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok thanks guys, I'll get some cleaning done and see if I can track the leak down. I've got some meguiars super degreaser as I was planning to give the bay and arches a good clean anyway. I did tighten the oil filter a bit as it was weeping, but that's the other side of the engine so shouldn't be anything to do with it.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Speedy is right the oil seal will the culprit or if the gearbox has been overfilled. Check the oil breather cap is not clogged,

7. sawf1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Where is the breather located, I don't remember seeing one?

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Item 2 on the shift mech

M__0601.

9. sawf1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks i'll take a look at the weekend.

10. sawf1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the advice so far guys. It turns out it's not the gearbox leaking at all, its the rocker cover. The oil is leaking from the top right, running down the back of the engine and pooling in an indent on the top of that mount, when that is full it runs down the mount to the gearbox. So, i'm going to order a new gasket from HH and was wondering if anyone knows if I need to use honda bond anywhere when installing the new gasket?

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yes you need it at four points on the gasket. Check the gasket that comes off you'll see where the blobs need to go.

Last edited: Monday 19th Sep, 2016
  12. sawf1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok, thanks very much.