Service & Maintenance Oil level light flashing i-CTDI

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by garf8v, Thursday 1st Oct, 2015.

1. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The oil light started flashing orange, indicating the level has dropped. No worries, topped up with oil, restarted, and the light hasn't stopped flashing. Double checked oil level, up to top mark, so I know I have oil. This is my 07 FR-V, oil changed 36,808 mls 28/4/15.
    Two queries. Do I have to reset the light somehow? Or does it indicate a malfunctioning sensor?
    When I can get some time I plan to check the wiring connections underneath, and perhaps tap the sensor in case it is a sticky float level.
    Thoughts or experiences with this would be welcomed.
    Thanks.
    PS I hope its the right section...

2. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Shouldn't need reset. What grade oil do you use and when did you last change it?

3. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Also how much did you add ?

4. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good point, possibly gone from low to high. Although I've gone about 2.5 cm over high and the light never came on.

5. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi sorry for delay in response...
    Changed oil April, used approx 6 litres. The light came on 2nd week Sept, topped up approx. 3/4 litre. I didn't think to keep a note because I assumed it would be OK. Using Mobil one 0/40w Diesel. My daughter uses this one, so I can't check mileage until Sunday( also have to check tyres etc...!) Its done about 1000 miles since oil change, including a long run at the end of April towing a track bike with 3 up and associated kit. Ran faultlessly. temp gauge not showing any overheating.
    Thanks

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Others here should be able to confirm, but there may be a necessary dealer software update to fix this? There is one for Civics of this age to stop problems with low oil warning indications.

0w-30 would be better (less loading on the oil pump and chain!) but won't be causing this problem.

DieselPower likes this.
  7. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers, that's good to know.

8. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks chaps. Will have a look on Sunday and report back.
    Would it be worth enquiring with the dealer if there is an update?

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I think that'll be the best way forward, unless @Ichiban can confirm that such a fix exists?

10. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi again, checked mileage, up to 39,293 so done 2,485 miles, It has approx. 7 and a quarter litres of oil, when dipstick pushed fully in level is above top DOT, so not low on oil.
    I removed bottom cover, no oil dripping out. The cover for the sensor seems all OK no dents or marks. I gently tapped it to no avail! I couldn't get to the connecters easily in the time allowed so only wiggled the wires!.
    So it still blinks orange, although I notice on start up it comes on constant orange, then goes red and then it reverts to flashing when car is running.
    If it is a dealer thing, how do I cross reference them to the Civic update if that applies?
    Thanks again

11. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'm sure your car should take 5.8l and over filling like this will probably be the cause of your oil pressure light on.
    This is not good at all and can be worse than under filling

12. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The oil level was just on the lower mark before I changed the oil.The manual says 5.9 litres, which I carefully measured into the car when I changed the oil and filter. I think the total should be about 6.5 litres, so yes it is over. However, the light came on when the level was correct(midway between the two marks.)
    I think there is some confusion, it is not the pressure light(Red) but the level light(amber) that I have flashing.

13. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Got you sorry for the confusion.It might pay to get the car on a HDS to check for any hidden codes or as said a update on the ECU

SpeedyGee likes this.
  14. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No worries. I will get it in for an HDS as soon as poss...thanks for your input.

15. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Update, eventually got the car from daughter and local garage plugged in their diagnostic, they said it was coming up as a fault, which they cleared, and so far no more flashing amber. Can only assume that as I didn't top up straight away(took a day or two before I could get to add oil, although OK on dipstick) the computer logged it as a fault.
    Hopefully that's sorted now.

16. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Update. Bit overdue for oil change, but having spoken with Lee at HH I am fairly sure that the flashing light is when the oil gets hot and thins out. So whilst level OK, it is too thin to work the level sensor. It has come occasionally again during the year, but when I check, the level is OK. Moral is to use the recommended grade oil....Thanks Lee!

SpeedyGee likes this.