Engine & Gearbox Oil Service, which oil should I choose.

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Nick Allen, Monday 26th Nov, 2012.

1. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all

My 2.0 i-VTEC is due an oil change according the service indicator..

I can get National Tyre and Auto to do it quite cheaply, with a current 10% off deal for at most £35 however there is a choice of oils

Castrol Edge 5W30 Full Synthetic (includes oil filter) £35 option

or

Castrol Magnatec 10W40 Semi Synthetic (includes oil filter) £30ish option

Im tempeted to go for the 5w30 option, what do the knowldgeable folks on here reccommend?

Last edited: Monday 26th Nov, 2012
  2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think I remember another 8th Generation petrol owner saying you should use 0W 30 with an ACEA rating of A3 or A5.

3. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

0W/30 is recommended, but I think 5W/30 fully synth would be acceptable.

I think it details suitable oils in the handbook.

Also 5W/30 synth is cheaper as its more commonly used.

4. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    For your info: anything between 0W20 and 10W40 is OK for the petrol. And there's not a specific oil grade recommended for Accord 2.0 petrol engines. For diesels it's 0W30, and for Civic Type-R e.g. it's also 0W30. I always poor 0W20 in my Civics I-DSI and will do the same with the Accord 2.0 i-VTEC. I use original Honda branded oil + original filters.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The petrol Honda engine will run on anything really apart from 20w-50.

so chose your oil accordingly.

A lower oil viscosity give you better mileage and wear protection, for higher revving and sustained high speed driving you may want to go higher viscosities.According to Honda they want us to genuine Honda Motor Oil, ACEA A3/B3 or ACEA A5/B5ACEA/SAE viscosity.

8th gen oil chart AOCUK.JPG

6. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Ichiban, above is not correct. If you have a look at your attachment, you will see that 15W40 is only applicable for cars without oil level sensor. So 10W40 is the thickest you can go on the petrol engines in 8th Generation Accord. 15W40 is too thick for the narrow pipes and holes in the oil level sensor.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup I know I posted that chart but the engine will still work with that grade of oil even if you were in an emergency. I was generalising for all petrol honda's. Its not recommended but I know it will work.

I won't advise it but seen loads of high revving engine running 10w-50 grade oil, which is not recommended either.

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    "I was generalising for all petrol honda's."
    Generalising for all Honda petrols? But 0W20 and 0W30 can't be put in all Honda petrols neither. They all need a specific grade of oil.
    Sure, they will all work in case of emergency... but thread opener posted in 8th Generation Accord, 2.0 i-VTEC and mentions a 'regular oil change'.
    Correct oil grade is crucial for an engine's lifetime. 15W40 and thicker don't belong in this engine when doing a regular oil change.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    where is a white flag when you need one, if it make you feel better I will withdraw that statement.

10. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

0W20 specified for EU Schedule, but not worldwide schedule.

That is telling.

11. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Just want to avoid that a wonderful Honda engine is done any harm.:Wink:
    - - - Updated - - -
    You're right. And as we are all in Europe: no issues with that.

12. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I went for the 5w30 in the end...

13. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

You're missing the point.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

I wholeheartedly agree with you but I know working with Honda and Honda R&D their engine engine testing is a complete torture.I have seen it with my own eyes with engine running for months at full revs , to give you a non scientific method have a look at YouTube link these B******s kill a Honda.

They drain the oil in a Civic and run it until it partially seizes then top the engine with water on a hot engine , the engine still fires and runs and eventually dies a painful death.

Honda engineers have designed the Honda petrol engine like fine Swiss watches they can take the punishment even in limp mode they will get their owners back home. I can say with a lot of assurance an engine with wrong grade of oil will survive.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Try the above in a diesel it won't last 20 minutes!

16. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The subject of oil is complicated to the layman sometimes but there is a simple rule,fit what the maintenance book says, the sae rating system is as old as the hills and should have been done away with years ago, what's important is the type of oil not so much the grade, acae ratings are the best to use and most manufactuers are starting to use this system, most modern patrols will use a A1 or a A3 oil,a combination of the both is a A5 best choice, A1 is a fuel saving grade this sometimes is not the best oil to use if the engine uses a timing chain, A3 oil is a long distance long drain oil which will easy run for the cars annual service up to 12 to 15000 miles, I don,t work on Honda but if your car has a timing chain I would opt for a A.3 this will have all the correct additives and viscosity for your engine , check your book. All A ratings to the best of my knowledge are synthetic oils.

SayamaAccord likes this.
  17. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Sayama, what do you mean with this? What is your 'point'? English is not my native language. The above is correct, that's for sure.

18. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi, your English is excellent, I didn't say what I meant, I just hinted at it.

I don't know if you are familiar with the expression "reading between the lines".

It means you are not given all available information so you have to draw your own conclusions from the information you do have.

The car manufacturers have a big environmental agenda in the USA and Europe because the governments require this in return for allowing the manufacturers to sell their cars there.

I have seen it said on the internet, especially on US sites, that the manufacturers use thinner oil, not because it is best for the car, but to achieve higher mileage figures, and therefore be allowed to sell more vehicles.

In addition, Honda do not specify 0W 20 for certain vehicles, such as diesels, the Civic Type-R, and the Legend. They specify 0W 30, presumably because it protects the engine better.

And, for their worldwide service schedule, as opposed to the service schedules applying to the USA and Europe, Honda specify 0W 30 instead of 0W 20, for the same vehicles!

Are we to believe there is something in the atmosphere in America and Europe which enables an engine to run on a thinner oil offering less engine protection? I don't think so!!

Read between the lines, my friend. :Wink:

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Cliff I don't think you have taken into consideration Honda R&D testing is very very stringent and they will not approve a oil for a Honda if it not safe.call that a Honda fan boy perspective or whatever you want but just stating 0w-20 is thin oil and leads to more wear is wrong and misinformed. I personally don't care what the rest are doing and what government and other manufacturers have hidden agenda or environmental campaigns.

I know Honda R&D and aware of their testing regime and years of methodical data collection unless someone does a full strip and test this notion of using thicker oil leads to less wear is an ancient notion's.

You will see 0w-10 oils being approved for Honda in the next 2-5 years.