Engine & Gearbox Oil usage

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by nickone, Monday 13th Feb, 2012.

1. nickone New Member Getting Started

Hi all,

I have now had my 05 accord sport for a couple of months and i would like to add its a good car and i really enjoying driving it!

I keep reading that the engines use a lot of oil, i know it can vary from one car to another but mine has used none.
    I check the level on a weekly basis on it doesnt budge.

How do others find the usage situation?

2. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Neither of mine have used a drop of oil.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fully synthetic oils and engine running at their optimum will not consume a drop.

4. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Mine goes through a ltr between a service interval

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Mine has never used a drop.

6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Mine uses nothing you can see on the dipstick level either.

7. GarymandingAccord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've noticed that my Accord has started using oil. 122k on the clock - full service history and using fully synthetic oil.
    No visible leaks and no burning smells from exhaust which also looks clean.
    A bit of a mystery.
    I suppose the higher the mileage then it might get some consumption through time.

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@GarymandingAccord I believe you've got a 7th Generation auto, but petrol or diesel?
    (If you add your car the garage, it helps us help you better).

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Also what grade of oil are you using will help.

10. GarymandingAccord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It is a 7th generation 2.0 petrol model. I'll get a pic posted for it. Been meaning to for ages.
    Cheers guys for checking my posts :Smile:

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
  12. GarymandingAccord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi DeviateDefiant, thanks for replying.
    The car had Millers EE longlife c3 nanodrive 5w40 fully synthetic oil put in at last service. I topped it up about 8 weeks ago with Mobil 1 0w40 fully synthetic.

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Generally speaking you shouldn't mix weights between oils, it could be the case that various additives are combining between the two oils and causing the burn off.

Though generally speaking you don't expect much consumption at all from 5w-40 viscosity, however it's to be expected with say 0w-20.

14. GarymandingAccord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah I know. I had got the oil from my local Honda dealer when the car was in for an MOT. It was there that the low oil was first reported.
    I have been using it as when I noticed the oil was low again it was all I had to top up.
    I'm keeping an eye on it trying to work how much is being consumed altho it seems to be a bit of an enigma at the moment.

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    When you say your car has started to burn oil, can I ask what level did it drop from on the dipstick and what did it drop to ?

As per the instructions on the page that @Ichiban has linked to, the oil level needs to be half way between low and full.

What I've found on Hondas (especially K Series Hondas) is the if you will fill more than half way mark, they tend to burn off the excess amount above the half way mark.
    Once the level has dropped to the half way they stop burning it off.

The correct level to aim for when filling is the half way mark between low and full.

18. GarymandingAccord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When I topped up it was showing around the minimum mark on dip stick so I topped up. It is showing half between minimum and maximum now when I checked today. When I topped it up it was filled to around the max mark so your explanation @SpeedyGee would explain this discrepancy.
    I'll keep an eye on it from here.
    Thanks guys. Your input is much appreciated.

19. GarymandingAccord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys, Been keeping an eye on this and it looks like it might have even'd itself out. Car due for service soon, 137500 so I'll keep a record after that to see how it's going with consumption.
    On a seperate note- I've been considering getting my wife the new HR-V when it's released. She had the original as her very first car and has been in mourning since it was prematurly written off by some idiot using a phone at the wheel a couple of years back. Anyway the new one looks pretty cool even if it's lost some of the originals quirkiness. :Smile:

DeviateDefiant likes this.