Engine & Gearbox Oil warning light when driving over 85 mph for a long distance

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Ray Farmer, Sunday 14th Jun, 2015.

1. Ray Farmer New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Fred Leicester
    my family is spread across the UK, so when I drive for a long distance on an early start with no traffic, I tend to go over the 80 mark. If I do this over a long period of 60 miles the oil warning light comes on. As soon as I arrive home and check the oil the oil level seems fine. I drive it the next day with no light appearing on the dashboard

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Firstly I'm not sure it's wise to be openly admitting to doing something illegal !!

Secondly I have no idea what engine your car has. It's probably best that you say a few words about yourself and your car in the Introduce yourself section and add your car to the Club Garage so that it appears in the signature area of every post you make.

Back to your I would start by having the oil pressure switch checked out.

How good is the service history on this car ?

3. Ray Farmer New Member Getting Started

Thanks for the advice. The model of the car is 2.2CDTI. It only happens on a the few occasions I have to travel to family.

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Is it the level warning light or the pressure warning light? If you really were suffering from low oil pressure then your engine would probably be dead by now!

Not sure about CR-Vs, but for Civics there definitely was/is a dealer software update to prevent erroneous low oil level warnings.

hondream likes this.
  5. Ray Farmer New Member Getting Started

Sorry it is the oil warning light on a 2.2 CDTI. Honda CR-V

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Is there only one oil warning light on your CR-V?

Some Honda I-CTDI models had one for level as well as pressure. Potential causes of the indication would obviously be very different.

hondream likes this.
  7. Ray Farmer New Member Getting Started

Thanks will have a look at the book to make sure

8. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    Also what oil are you using. I wonder since speeding is addictive ................................you must have lucky guardian angel who prevents you from being done for speeding.

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
  10. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, although I haven't done a great deal of tests on this.
    Petrol 2.4 engine
    Oil level after 3 or minutes of driving.:-
    If the car has been stood over night, and I drive it for say 3 or minutes so that the coolant temperature gauge has reached the full temperature. Switch off engine, and check the engine and auto gearbox oil levels (following the Honda recommended method, ie auto gearbox within 90 seconds; engine after waiting 3 minutes), they seem to be at the low end of the dipstick range.
    Oil level after at least 1 hour of driving.:-
    After at least one hour of driving the car. Switch off engine, and check the engine and auto gearbox oil levels (following the Honda recommended method, ie auto gearbox within 90 seconds; engine after waiting 3 minutes), they seem to be at the high end of the dipstick range, and sometimes the oil is in the max. hole on the dipstick.
    Would be interesting to know what your reading are, if you have actually done these tests