General Old wives tales vs modern remedies.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harvey, Sunday 26th Jun, 2016.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This has probably been done to death...

Old wives tales and the motor car vs modern remedies.

Lately I have been having slight issues with streeks and smearing of rain and water on the windscreen. I've tried cleaning the screen with household glass cleaner and then repolishing with autoglym glass polish and to be fair it works ok for abit, the it's back to streaking.

I know I can clean the screen with white vinegar, didn't have any so used the malt stuff I had. And by eck did it make a difference, more so than other cleaners.

So what other old wives tales etc have you guys and gals used on your cars that worked better than modern chemicals or vice versa?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    T cut glass polish try it

3. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Use your favorite cleaner with a microfibre cloth then clay the screen before cleaning again with cleaner and cloth. Finish with a carnauba wax, make sure you let it haze properly before polishing off.

4. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Heard of people claying their windscreens before, never seen people do it though.

I will say this though, the vinegar did remove a fair amount of gunk from the wiper blades themselves, but I'll give those a go.

But the point was, is there any old fashioned remedies that people still use?

5. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    I do Voodoo dolls.

You'll be surprised how much you get off with the clay and it also dislodges stuff which you'll get on the second clean.

Harvey likes this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Harvey your wipers might be at fault? I used to get streaking etc after 2 months of usages of your regular bosch, valeo etc wipers. I now use wiperblades.co.uk own brand hybrid blades and they have so far been fantastic, no streaking after 6 months of use.

Harvey likes this.
  7. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I agree it could be the wipers leaching lubricant.
    A cheap top tip is to clean the screen with toothpaste ! Honest divers here use it to clean their goggles.
    It will also leave your screen with a nice smile and fresh breath.

Harvey likes this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Possibly, though these are not the bosch or Valeo ones, but genuine Honda ones.
    The vinegar did pull off loads of black gunk