Off-Topic Olympic torches for sale on Ebay

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Monday 21st May, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What is your opinion on this subject guys, 1,25000 pounds in profit or a smoke screen saying proceeds going to charity.

if I was given the honour ( never in my lifetime:Rolf:) I would treasure it. It would seem your honour can be sold today on ebay for £££

I think this loophole must be capped and the Olympic committee should collect all torches back.

2. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's easy to say you wouldn't sell it, but when push comes to shove and the wonga is it front of your boat race.........

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    wonga versus morals.. I know what I would chose.

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    These people are selected by their communities to be torch bearers because of their previous charity work or work in the community. To then use it just to cash in is a bit of a slap in the face to all the people who voted for them to be allowed the honour.

Selling them is a big loop hole and I should be stopped. They should only be allowed to sell it back to the organisers if they don't want it.

Better still just use one torch and pass it on rather than a new torch every 300 metres.

5. Tyrbiter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As I understand it, the torch bearers have to pay 199GBP to keep the torch they carry. It seems this is subsidised from the 495GBP that the organising committee pays for them.

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If the money is going to the charity, I don't have a problem with it. The woman who sold hers for £154000 yesterday is clearly passionate about the charity as she set it up.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    But will it thou ? After all the funds will be in the person bank or PayPal first..it a simple case of my bit and that's thier bit.

8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think in the case of the £154000 I do believe she will put all the money in.

9. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Agree with RobB

The money I am sure will go to her charity, was something to do with teenage suicide I think her brother had killed himself. She was on Radio discussing I have no problem with genuine ones like her however some are just going to be out to make a few bucks which is wrong and as Ichiban has said highly immorally - my view at least. Me I would rather have the torch - a great piece of family history to hand down the generations..

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    On the news one when the torch bearers in the Yorkshire region has already put is torch up for sale !! Climbing on the bandwagon when the iron hot...

11. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It is a privileged bestowed on these torch bearers, they were selected for their qualities. To use this torch to gain monetary profits for self or charity is wrong. Why does everything be about money, if these people are loved their charities so much please raise the funds on another avenue?

Are these the qualities of a leader see an angle and make it commercial, only in Britain.

12. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    Of course, i'm sure anyone would sell such a collectible, economy being what it is. But still, i think these are not just collectibles but heritage keepsakes and should be preserved for future generations to treasure. Not just in private collections.

13. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think it's a sign of the times these days- sad but true!

14. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    Of course, there will be a lot of interest in the Olympics as it's so close. These are keepsakes, anyone would be lucky to have one.

15. Felicity Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    With job instability and bad economy, I don't think it's any time to be splurging on such an extravagance. I'm just as happy to watch the Olympics on television. National pride and all is fine but the event comes around once every four years. I've seen quite a few Olympics so far. I hope this one is not as disappointing as the last.

16. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was awarded the Queens Diamond Jubilee Medal for being in the Police. The army and other services also recieved them so i'm not boasting. The medal itself is lovely and comes in a little presentation box. My son has already asked for it when he's old and I'd never think of selling it. I looked on eBay the other day and sure enough you can buy one for about £150. The shame of some people.

17. Diddyuk86 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think it's quite a shock at how many people are willing to sell their Olympic Torch online to be honest. I myself personally if I was given the honour to carry one think that I wouldn't find it as easy to part with as many are finding it no matter how much money I was offered.