Engine & Gearbox On going hot starting issue..

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by rgrigsby, Thursday 19th Jun, 2014.

1. rgrigsby Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK this has been going on for a while, I thought it was resolved but it seems not.

The problem is when my 2007 2.2 CDTI is hot it's taking increasingly long to start, to the extent that sometimes it is possible to flatten the battery without it starting.

The OBD diags are giving the all clear, the only error that came up was an issue with the coolant sensor that has since been replaced and is now showing fine. The problem is pretty consistent, from cold it starts quite quickly but after anything more than a 20 minute drive it takes a long time and in occasionally fails to start. The odd thing is when starting from hot it will turn over fine but just not start then all of a sudden it bursts into life after 5-6+ seconds

Today I had one of the "fails to start" moments so ended up calling the RAC after flattening the battery (the bloke from the RAC was a bit shocked as he said he's never been called out to a broken down Accord :Laughing:). Anyway he plugged in the booster from his van and although it turned over fine it still wouldn't start, so he ran the diagnostics again and it was showing everything fine again. In the end he popped open the air filter sprayed some ether in whilst I turned it over and the engine coughed and fired into life and then seemed ok from that point on.

I then drove the 150+ miles home and haven't tried to start it again since but I'm pretty sure I'm going to run into the same issues again as soon as it gets hot.

Starting from cold seems to be fine although potentially not quite a quick as when I first got it, the cars got 99K on the clock now, it had 83K when I bought it last year.

The RAC man thought was that it could be a fuel pressure related issue but he really wasn't 100% sure, he suggested the next step was to try and get live fuel pressure information from the OBD whilst trying to start the car which he couldn't do on his laptop.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Cheers
    Rob

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. rgrigsby Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No, completely standard

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Rob you will need to get the car on HDS or similar device to see what the entire fuel system is doing fuel wise, as pointed out by RAC man.

5. rgrigsby Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's booked in to my local independent on Tuesday next week, they have all the usual diagnostic tools. I'm hoping that the latest experience of the RAC man points them in the right direction, its a bit embarrassing that I keep getting stuck.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have a look at the numerous thread in the 7th Generation accord section for diesel related issues with non genuine fuel filter

7. rgrigsby Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just collected my Accord from the garage after a full service and some investigation into the hot starting issue, unfortunately they couldn't find anything and despite leaving the car running for quite a while as well as taking it for a decent drive on the road they weren't able to reproduce the issue.

Oh how I love intermittent problems, guess I just need to see if the issue returns now it's had a full service, I have a feeling it will resurface again.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well keep us posted m did you check if the fuel filter on your car is genuine.

9. rgrigsby Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Unfortunately I've not had a chance to check the fuel filter but things have moved on, after the garage visit the battery was replaced. This is not a huge surprise as it's been a bit dodgy for a while, following that the garage couldn't reproduce the fault so I picked the car up. Initially it seemed fine but then I started to have the same problem again, except this time it was both cold and hot starting and happening every single time. My local indie garage recommended that I take it to a Honda dealer to get them to look at it as they were running out of ideas and wondered if it need some kind of software update.

I called up my local Honda dealer on the way home this evening to book it in, however about 5 minutes after I got off the phone with them the "Check System" light appeared on the dash, the glow plug light started flashing and then the car cut out completely and wouldn't restart.

I phoned the RAC but managed to get the car restarted after about 45 minutes (although it took 7+seconds of cranking to start), I've now dropped it at the garage and await the results of what they find. However at least this time there should be something in the ECU logs as there was a clear error on the dash.

I have to say I'm a little fed up, I've had Peugeots for the last 10+ years and only been stranded once in that whole time, they were far from perfect and did need things replacing but at least I didn't get stuck by the roadside. I realise this is an unusual problem with a Honda, the RAC guys who have been out to recover me have pretty much all said they can't believe it's broken down as they never get called out to broken down Honda's. Fingers crossed the garage can find a fault this time and this problem is fixed once and for all. I certainly need a bit of reassurance that I haven't bought a dud at this stage.

Cheers
    Rob Grigsby

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Rob a simple task will be to change the fuel filter with a genuine one and bleed the filter throughly. Its has all the hallmarks of a clogged\non-genuine fuel filter issue

11. rgrigsby Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Some good news, the Honda garage have found an actual problem, apparently the fuel pressure relief valve is faulty which they believe has been causing the problems. They haven't said anything about the fuel filter so we'll have to wait and see. The guy in the garage said it's not a common issue but they do replace one or two a year.

So that'll be £534 including fitting for a replacement luckily my extended warranty came to the rescue so it's all covered.

Fingers crossed this is the root cause of the problems.

Cheers
    Robert

John Dickson and Chunkylover53 like this.
  12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Glad to here you got the problem sorted Robert, and moreover that it was covered under warranty and didn't come out of your wallet. The i-CTDIs in general do have their issues, though by the facelift like your '07 most of the earlier issues had been resolved.

As much as the Accord diesels are far more reliable than most German manufacturers, I still like to blame them for stopping the Accord from having the badge as the UK's most reliable car (that's the all petrol Jazz!) :Whistle:

13. rgrigsby Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

One final update on this, picked up the car last night and it's noticeable smoother than before, I also think the economy is slightly better. I'd noticed for a while that the engine seemed to be getting a little nosier and not quite as refined as when I first bought the car, I put it down to "it's an old car" syndrome. I think it's back to normal now though so I suspect the FPR has been causing other issues.

Anyway started fine this morning after very little cranking so I'm hopeful it's fixed.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Pleased you've got it fixed now. :Smile:
    With these types of issues, I believe it's best to go straight to a main dealer.
    They have the right equipment and can save a great deal of time and money in the long run.
    The I-CDTI is a good engine, if you look after it. I've got one too ! :Wink:

John Dickson likes this.
  15. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Pleased it's fixed Rob. :GoodJob: