General Once an Accord owner, always an Accord owner?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Benji, Saturday 14th Apr, 2012.

1. Benji Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    This is my first ever Accord. I was just wondering, for those of you who have had multiple vehicles over the years...have they all been Accords or at least a member of the Honda family?

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Honda worked closely with Rover in the 80s and early 90s, and many Rovers in that time were re-badged Hondas.

My first Honda was a 1991 Rover 214i, which was a re-badged Honda Concerto with a K series engine (which to be fair was Rover's but still a superb engine), followed by 4th, 6th then 7th generation Accords.

Last edited: Sunday 15th Apr, 2012
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda till I die for me ... :Wink:

4. accord1996 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

lloydie london
    where you want me to start ....honda onwer 1995 - 2012 in my family it was toyota ..when i obtained my uk licence my first car was the 1995 Civic esi. the move on the the 5 gen accord cc7 back to a 4 th gen ..owned 6 accord incld the 3 gen two coupes ..a few Civic we counted 11 over the years today i have a 95 Civic coupe sorn of the road . a JDM 5th Generation accord im buildin, a 2000 accord ls ,and a ek3 4dr i built...

honda till the wheels fall off

Attached Files:

Last edited: Saturday 28th Apr, 2012
  5. Benji Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Very interesting to see that you are all pro-Honda for pretty much the rest of your lives. I mean, I can understand why. It's an awesome brand of vehicle! :Smile:

6. Blue Guru Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Im also a honda purist, my first car was a Civic, my second was another Civic, then i moved to Accords and im on my 3rd accord now

7. accord1996 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

lloydie london
    yeah i mean Honda cars sparked my eye in the 80's , it was widely spoken about in Jamaica. you would have to have some strong money like being apart of a government body or as we call it a druggist to own one ..then we have Toyota , Mazda , BMW and Saab just to name a few ..
    the Honda motorbikes was a huge thing too...its is still the big thing today Honda caan done .
    Honda yeah why not ...:Smile:,

8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    I was a VW nut! Hot for 2nd Generation GTI (still love them) and I have owned may of them. Even raced amateur in a 16v with lite mods.

Had some rare models over the years

Had AUDI,VW then Audi more Audi then back to VW for to long... In all honesty I wish I had bought a Accord about 6/7 years ago when we were looking for my wifes now Passat. We did go to Honda and looked at a Accord which my Daughter loved for it's spec more than anything but we didnt test drive as they had no demo on site as I recall.

Still, have one now and will continue with them. My goal is the 8th Generation diesel is it the EX? can't remember but with some decent wheels, door mounding, leather and stuff I would happily go for one of them next.

Happy Honda owner :Smile:

9. mattpc Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There's been an Accord in my family since I was about 3 years old which is now a long time ago.

10. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have been a VW, Gm owner for ages, I dislike VW their warranty and build qaulity is shocking . on my 4 year old passat they refused a tailgate corrosion just because it was not serviced by the main dealer

List of faults with the German turd.

injectors died,useless clutch,electrical faults,not to mention corrosion I have been converted by my father-in-law Type-S, looking forward to buy a car which is engineered beautifully.

No labels no German badges, no gimmick of so called German engineering . just a car for what it is.

Primarycare likes this.
  11. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Datsun 120Y - first cheap car bought of friend
    got a proper job, 5 door Civic 1.6 ils . loved it, 6th Generation 2.0 VTEC Accord Exec, 7th Generation Exec Diesel, 8th Generation I-DTEC exec (with toys)

12. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Datsun those were the days Nissan made qaulity cars, I hear Datsun are coming back in the emerging markets with a low end car. Azzy your history of car is more or less like my father-in-laws he been a Honda nut all his life and he convince me too, I wish I had not resisted it.

you live and learn I suppose. :Crazy:

13. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I am on third Accord now and believe i will not change to any other car any time soon.
    Accord petrol for me from now on.

14. Accord-twin-2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

On my second accord now, first one served me well with no problems in over two years.
    So when looking for a tourer there was no contest really. I admit I did look at other makes though not for long.
    the mix of economy, gadgets, comfort, looks, performance and reliability just blew any other car out the water.

........in my opinion anyway.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will be on my fifth Accord when my car arrives in July , I have had conformation the car should be with me by the 2nd of July. Will remain a Honda Accord owner for the foreseeable future :Smile:. I can't wait for the 50th year Accord celebrations and have my first gen as centre stage.

16. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Honda owner of the past

New euro arriving tomorrow but just realized I once owned this little beauty - a Goldwing 1500cc. She just purred on the highway, typical Honda quality.

Attached Files:

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Paul I love the goldwings for their sheer list of luxuries,ultra smooth 6 cylinder engine what else can you ask for.

One small issue for me its size of a bus :Aghast: Goldwing production has seized in the states and moved to Japan to many a owners delight, shame the American slightly bitter.

can't wait to see your pictures :Thumbup:

18. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    In short - every Japanese car we have owned has been solid as a rock. They do the job, have all the 'current' toys of the time, and cost much less than the "premium" brands.

Yes, in the past you sometimes missed out on the softer interior materials - but who cares. How many people spend time stroking their dashboard and saying "I wish this plastic was softer".

I also carry a small flame for VW's, but only the older VAG models. I had 2 x 1st Generation golf GTis... 1st was a turd which should not have been on the road... 2nd was lovely. Although I did do a complete mechanical overhaul on it. Friends had 2nd Generation GTIs which I rated. I also owned a 3rd Generation VR6 which I *cough* wrote off at the Nurburgring in August 2011.. ooops.

Honda have been very good to us.
    My Gramps had a 1st Generation Accord (4 door sedan) with the Hondamatic gearbox in the late 80's
    We bought a 1999 Civic 1.6lsi auto (5 door hatch) in 2000 with 4k miles on the clock. Ran that to 160k ish. It suffered a lot of abuse at my hands and did not complain. Super dependable until the autobox gave way at the end of its life.
    My Accord - Jan 2004 ICTDI, bought in Nov 2007. Again, I've abused it at times (but I always pamper the cars maintenance wise!) and it has only had a couple of minor hiccups. Just your usual ICTDI issues. But Honda UK have usually looked after me.

For me, yes I'd love a flashy 'trendy' car, but they are such a waste of time/money - especially when you are not getting a lot more for your money. You get the same equiptment, roughly the same performance, same number of wheels/doors/seats etc... for much less money, and in fact, they are much more reliable and cheaper to run in the long run.

One thing though. In the UK/europe we do tend to take Hondas for granted (which is a good thing for us). We compare them against slick 'looking' (looks are not everything) european cars. Which results in Hondas having less appeal and hence driving prices down a little.

It is not till you venture over to the USA/Canada that you compare them to American cars... Hondas are premium cars out there. Hondas (and other Japanese cars) are what smart people aspire to own. Hondas tend to be more expensive than the local cars.... Which is when you realise how lucky we are to have such good cars at a decent price in Europe!

When my Accord goes pop. My first port of call will be the Honda dealership. Not to complain about the car going pop lol, but to set a bench mark in my mind of what the other manufacturers/options have to live up to.

I cannot say I will be Honda for life, but I do recognise the thought that goes into the design and manufacturing, the absolute quality, and the 'bang for buck' you get with a Honda. It will take some serious convincing (or rose tinted specs) to pull me away from buying another Honda.

Saying that... last year when my sister needed a new car (to replace our old 1999 Civic which she used)... I spent a lot of time looking at used cars that met the following criteria:
    Max £7k budget
    Needs to be modern - all the toys
    Needs to be fairly 'young' as a car, i.e. not high mileage... plenty of life in it needed.
    Needs to make you feel like you are in a premium car (not a budget run around)
    Fuel economy
    Reliable
    Good looking
    Auto box (my folks have manual licenses, but only drive autos)
    Plenty of space for carrying stuff (sister is a teacher)

I looked at Audis, BMWs, Mini, Mercs, VW, Skoda, Fiat, Toyota, Suzuki etc...
    We found the Civic was the best of the bunch (yet again!)
    57 plate 1.8i-VTEC, i-shift, EX + Sat nav with under 40k on the clock, full Honda history, and less than £7k ;-)

Primarycare and Ichiban like this.
  19. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    In short - every Japanese car we have owned has been solid as a rock. They do the job, have all the 'current' toys of the time, and cost much less than the "premium" brands.

Yes, in the past you sometimes missed out on the softer interior materials - but who cares. How many people spend time stroking their dashboard and saying "I wish this plastic was softer".

I also carry a small flame for VW's, but only the older VAG models. I had 2 x 1st Generation golf GTis... 1st was a turd which should not have been on the road... 2nd was lovely. Although I did do a complete mechanical overhaul on it. Friends had 2nd Generation GTIs which I rated. I also owned a 3rd Generation VR6 which I *cough* wrote off at the Nurburgring in August 2011.. ooops.

Honda have been very good to us.
    My Gramps had a 1st Generation Accord (4 door sedan) with the Hondamatic gearbox in the late 80's
    We bought a 1999 Civic 1.6lsi auto (5 door hatch) in 2000 with 4k miles on the clock. Ran that to 160k ish. It suffered a lot of abuse at my hands and did not complain. Super dependable until the autobox gave way at the end of its life.
    My Accord - Jan 2004 ICTDI, bought in Nov 2007. Again, I've abused it at times (but I always pamper the cars maintenance wise!) and it has only had a couple of minor hiccups. Just your usual ICTDI issues. But Honda UK have usually looked after me.

For me, yes I'd love a flashy 'trendy' car, but they are such a waste of time/money - especially when you are not getting a lot more for your money. You get the same equiptment, roughly the same performance, same number of wheels/doors/seats etc... for much less money, and in fact, they are much more reliable and cheaper to run in the long run.

One thing though. In the UK/europe we do tend to take Hondas for granted (which is a good thing for us). We compare them against slick 'looking' (looks are not everything) european cars. Which results in Hondas having less appeal and hence driving prices down a little.

It is not till you venture over to the USA/Canada that you compare them to American cars... Hondas are premium cars out there. Hondas (and other Japanese cars) are what smart people aspire to own. Hondas tend to be more expensive than the local cars.... Which is when you realise how lucky we are to have such good cars at a decent price in Europe!

When my Accord goes pop. My first port of call will be the Honda dealership. Not to complain about the car going pop lol, but to set a bench mark in my mind of what the other manufacturers/options have to live up to.

I cannot say I will be Honda for life, but I do recognise the thought that goes into the design and manufacturing, the absolute quality, and the 'bang for buck' you get with a Honda. It will take some serious convincing (or rose tinted specs) to pull me away from buying another Honda.

Saying that... last year when my sister needed a new car (to replace our old 1999 Civic which she used)... I spent a lot of time looking at used cars that met the following criteria:
    Max £7k budget
    Needs to be modern - all the toys
    Needs to be fairly 'young' as a car, i.e. not high mileage... plenty of life in it needed.
    Needs to make you feel like you are in a premium car (not a budget run around)
    Fuel economy
    Reliable
    Good looking
    Auto box (my folks have manual licenses, but only drive autos)
    Plenty of space for carrying stuff (sister is a teacher)

I looked at Audis, BMWs, Mini, Mercs, VW, Skoda, Fiat, Toyota, Suzuki etc...
    We found the Civic was the best of the bunch (yet again!)
    57 plate 1.8i-VTEC, i-shift, EX + Sat nav with under 40k on the clock, full Honda history, and less than £7k ;-)

20. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    wow - that wasnt short after all... lol