Engine & Gearbox Only wants to use 3 gears in 'S'

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Karl_T, Friday 26th Feb, 2016.

1. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Just put the car into 'S' for the first time in weeks and used it to pull up a short sliproad onto a dual carriage way. The car went up the gears to third and got me up to '80' on the clock, revs at 5,000. I then back off the throttle and maintain speed but it didn't shift to 4th. Now its been a while since I used 'S' but I thought it would shift up to the higher gear when you stopped demanding acceleration. Repeated the experiment a little later and got the same result. It just sits there whining away in 3rd at 5000 RPM. The paddles will knock it to 4th and the 'D' mode works fine, all 5 gears no issues. Any ideas? Am i missing something?

Karl

2. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I personally don't know enough about them, but Honda did have problems with the boxes in that era and was the subject of a recall but think it was a bearing issue. Simple enough to read your handbook or pop into your dealer.
    If you've not had an oil service in recent history maybe time to get it checked.

3. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Service with an AT fluid swap done about 4 mths ago. But I will double check the level tonight.
    Handbook doesn't really describe what *should* happen under those circumstances. Other than to say 'This position is similar to D, except only the gears from 1st to 4th are selected.' No mention of additional restrictions on shifting up.
    I just want to be sure this is a fault before I tackle Honda, and cough up £100 for an investigation.

4. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I understand completely, my old beloved rover 827 ( Honda in deguise ) as you mentioned would shoot up to 80 or more ( your not old bill I hope ) but when I lifted off the throttle it would change to fourth.
    That's obviously not much help being its an older car and different model.
    I've found my main dealer really helpful and have often picked their brains FOC so may be worth a try .
    I don't recommend breaking the speed limit testing a so called fault which may not even be there.
    I'm sure later in the day the egg heads on here will have an answer for you.

5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    This has nothing to do with bearing and those bearings affected 2002-2005 Civics and Jazz Manuals.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Speak to a few CU owners before you take the plunge. What Stu is saying is irrelevant to your issue.

6. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I know its nothing to do with the bearing issue, that's what I said. Honda recalled 1-5 million Accords and CR-V autos for a software upgrade in 2011 I think mainly in the states. Don't know if they make them there or import them

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    'S' mode will hold gears longer as it's the "sport" mode ... you're telling the car I want more power (therefore let me hang high in the revs).

So perfectly normal behaviour.

8. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

S mode is for sequential mode according to the hand book. I was annoyed when I read it as it meant there's nothing sporty about my car now :Frown:

I'm sure mine stayed in 3rd too when I tried it. I just used the paddle to change it then put it back into Fig leaf mode.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  9. John Hamer Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    I thought the "s" was to hold lower gears when on dicey surfaces like snow and ICE, If you need to "GO" JUST PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN AND KEEP IT THERE.

10. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I thought "S" mode on any car is to do exactly as the OP described i.e. to stay in the gear and not change up.

For example, if you're going through a chicane and lift off at high revs, the last thing you want is for the car to change up ....you wouldn't do that on a manual box in those conditions, you'd stay in gear. That's why an auto box without "S" mode is horrible to drive.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

There's not always an "S" mode but in all the autos I've driven there is usually a way to select gears to stay in. Yet to come across an auto in which you can't do that.

12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    ^ obviously true, but if you manually put an auto into a gear it will just stay in that gear, whereas a good "S" box will change down for you (and possibly up when you hit the rev limiter)

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yep

14. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The car will only hold gears if you put it in S mode then use the paddles to engage manual mode. A "M " will then appear above the gear number.

If your in D mode and and just put it in S mode without touching the paddles it will change through gears 1-3.

Other cars have a Sport mode but Honda is Sqential mode so I guess works differently. It does explain it all I'm the hand book though.