Off-Topic Opinions about a little problem with my daughters Clio

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by davemazo, Sunday 22nd Jan, 2012.

1. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know I`m not talking Honda here but I just wanted some opinions about my diagnosis of my daughters Clio problem.

Twice now with about 2 months in between each time the car has refused to start, it just turns over, and the key doesn`t unlock or lock the door remotely. The immobiliser light which normally flashes when everythings ok is on permanently.

My Android phone with torque can`t read the OBDII so can`t get any codes.

I`ve managed to fix it each time by disconnecting the battery, it must reset something. It will then start ok but its a bit sluggish turning over and its been working fine ever since.

She mostly drives it to work about a mile away and does this four times a day (she goes home for dinner) so I`m guessing the battery is slowly losing its charge and causing the immobiliser to get its knickers in a twist. If thats the case I`ve given her a battery charger and told her to put it on charge every weekend just to keep it topped up.

Also, the last time it happened I stuck my spare diesel Accord battery in, which as you may know is almost 80amps compared to the Clios 45Amps. I was told that the extra amps wouldn`t do any harm but would the alternator be able to charge it.

I`ve checked out the Renault forums and this does seem to be a problem but the remedies on there don`t seem to be relevant or have worked.

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    battery voltage is critical with most cars but you may have an immobiliser problem allso?. you say disconnecting the battery has cured it so far? and it was sluggish turning over. i would get a price for a new battery and stick one in. just make sure the battery is topped uo every now and again. has it ever gone flat?

3. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks beefy. Its never gone flat no and I`m pretty sure theres more to it than just a flat battery but it just seems odd that disconnecting the battery seems to cure it, probably temporarily I know. So you`re probably right that theres something wrong with the immobiliser but don`t want to splash out for one of them plus the costs of getting Renault to match it all up to the ECU and keys, more than the car is worth.

The Accord battery was fully charged and seems to work fine so far so I`ll persevere with that for now

4. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My wife had a 1.2 Clio that just stopped starting. It was traced to high resistance in the wiring loom and need a new loom. Luckily we had a warranty on it and they paid out circa £700. Apparently the Clio uses aluminium wire which corrodes (unlike copper), this can be an immediate fail or can be intermittent util complete failure. Hopefully it's not this but thought i'd let you know.

5. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Paul that sounds like a nightmare. The cars a W reg so obviously no warranty and would cost more than the cars worth to fix it if thats the problem

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Paul I was thinking the same as French cars use Ali for wiring that with some sort of parasitic drain on the battery ?

7. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hopefully not!! :Frown:

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    that wiring sounds like a nightmare! thank god i work for honda lol!!!

9. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think they use that kind of wiring on the airbuses, also was used on the space shuttle (wiring type was one of he reasons it was scrapped).

10. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My sister in laws immobiliser packed up on her 1.4 Clio.

11. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

So was the fix to get a new one and then match everything up to it at a Renault dealer at great expense

Is there any way to bypass the immobiliser