Off-Topic Opinions on P/X price

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by skinnyman, Tuesday 8th Oct, 2013.

1. skinnyman New Member Getting Started

I'm looking at chopping in my CTR for an Accord Type-S. A garage has offered me £2500 for the Civic (admittedly over the phone), and I wanted to know peoples opinion on this offer as this will be the first time I've P/X'd a car. I normally sell privately, but to be honest we have a 9 week old son and I can't be bothered with the hassle of it all.

2004 NHB CTR
    9 months MOT
    Full service history, mostly main dealer
    New clutch last year

Bad bits:
    Due a service in November
    Front bumper has been cracked, will need repairing/replacing
    Aircon pipe needs replacing
    Alloys aren't in great condition
    Front end is stonechipped to death

Now, privately they seem to go for £4k in good condition, I reckon I'd be looking at £3k for mine. Parkers reckons the P/X value of mine is £2700.

Now, my question is, for the sake of a few hundred quid, should I accept the offer of P/X? I'm thinking I should rip his hand off tbh. Also, I can reclaim the 7mths tax currently left on the car too.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you can get a few hundred pounds of the new car then a PX at that price is a sweet deal to me.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Agree. Don't worry so much about the p/ex price, just worry about the cost to change. It never bothers me if they "undervalue" my p/ex to make their own figures look better as long as the total deal works i.e. the replacement has a discount to compensate.

Just depends how the dealer is putting the assets through their books, how long they have had the car you are looking to buy (and the likely reduced margins depending on how long), whether they get an underwritten value on your p/ex...all sorts of different elements.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    well we haven't had a update on what happened. Chris any updates?