Tools Optimate 3 battery charger

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by Galgo, Thursday 4th Jun, 2015.

1. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Me again!

I've just ordered a new Optimate 3 battery charger from eBay to use on my car and my wife's as well.

Having never used such a device before I've got a few questions that perhaps some of the more knowledgeable members on here could answer!

Is it possible to charge the battery in situ? If not, I assume I can manually lock the doors on my Accord?

And how long would it take to test and topup the charge on a Bosch S4 battery that has around 75% charge?

Also how do I know when it's ok to disconnect it; I assume it lights up a green LED or something?

Thanks!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Sam,

You will need to connect the SAE lead to the negative and positive terminals, its very straight forward you will have to remove the 10mm nuts and get the eyelets onto the bolts.
    opt_o1sae71-weatherproof-eyelet-lead.

Yes you can leave this lead in situ and charge the battery when the car is parked up the lead has a dust cover even so it won't get fouled up. You can still use your fobs and lock and unblock the car there is no need for manual locking\unlocking as the terminals are always connected. All you have to do is inset the male lead from the charge and disconnect it when you don't. Very simple.

This charger is a trickle charger which de-sulphates the battery cells gently and get the battery fully charged in a couple of hours. The optimate will come with comprehensive instructions and it tell you the LEDs patterns and diagnostics. When the Test LED's blinks green the battery is fully charged.

I have been using optimate for 13 years all my cars and bikes have them. its the perfect tool you will extended the battery life as the battery is always in perfect SOC (State of charge) condition.

Garrydhu and Galgo like this.
  3. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's brilliant thank you so much for your reply! Can't wait to receive my new Optimate and start using it!

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No worries you will wonder why you didn't buy it earlier. Please do post pictures of the unit as ane when you get it . I believe the version you have gone for is the latest one and it has a lot improvements from the 2nd generation optimate 3

I have 2nd generation optimate 3 and 2nd generation optimate 5 and completely faultless.

Galgo likes this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I recently bought an Optimate 5. They really are fabulous - best charger I've every had.
    You'll never look back.

Galgo and Ichiban like this.
  6. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah I think the one I ordered is the new one. Will update this thread again when I get the Optimate and try it out! :Smile:

7. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

There was a delay in getting the Optimate shipped to me, so sorry for not replying sooner.

As I type this I'm charging the RAC battery that was originally in my car. So far, so good! Once it's charged I'll do the same on my Bosch S4 battery that's currently used in my car.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433929266.924158.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433929280.330468.

It spent about an hour on the "save" LED, and it's been on the orange "charge" LED for half an hour so far.

When I checked the battery with my multimeter the other week it said 12.3v so hopefully it won't take days to fully charge lol

Last edited: Wednesday 10th Jun, 2015
    Ichiban likes this.
  8. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well it's been just under 24 hours since the battery got plugged in and now it's fully charged:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434012552.834992.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434012653.401519.

Ichiban and SpeedyGee like this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Trickle charging is the way forward as it gentle on the cells. Aggressive charging is short term gain with longer term damage.

Galgo likes this.
  10. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

As I only drive my car once or twice a week, how often would you recommend charging the battery?

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

With the Optimate 5, you can leave it on all the time. I assume the 3 is the same.
    If the battery is healthy, and you use the car weekly, then it depends on the length of the journeys.
    Every other week? What do you think CJ?

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    on my bikes and 1st Generation accord they are left in plugged in permanently so it maintains the healthy charge all the time. For you I would say weekly but put the other lead on so the car got that connected and all you have to do is plug in the jack.

Galgo likes this.
  13. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. I've put the RAC battery in the car for now so that I can lock it and am currently charging the Bosch indoors. When it's ready I'll fit the SAE connectors whilst refitting the battery so it's easier to charge next time.

On a side note I noticed my car is getting harder to start (no surprise with the dodgy starter motor hence my other thread).

Do you think the longer than usual crank times are draining the battery too much? I've done a parasitic drain test and there's only 22mA getting drawn (when the engine's off) so I don't think it's that.

Admittedly I haven't tested the alternator yet...

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @Nels sorry missed your last comment across the board on the optimate you can leave them connected all the time. I would however disconnect it when the car or bike is fired up the ECU will pick up irregular over voltage DTC will be stored on give ECU and it can cause damage not to mention mess with your head. You can erase the DTC as its just a warning and not a permanent code.

Nels likes this.
  15. Garrydhu Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Billy Dor Carrigaline
    Good advice,as I'm going to get one soon

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You won't regret it.

Garrydhu likes this.
  17. Garrydhu Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Billy Dor Carrigaline
    Thanks,,great advice as usual,,being a newbie,feel a bit guilty ref getting great advice/construction etc,but no choice,,, but when I get educated ref my own insight, I'll gladly pass on all I know