Engine & Gearbox Orange engine warning light on CR-V Gen 2

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by brian62c, Monday 5th Oct, 2015.

1. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Brian Haverfordwest
    Hello all, me again. Back to pick the collective brain.

Today the present Mrs C. took her 2004 manual Gen 2 CR-V out and within a mile the orange engine warning light came on. She limped it home and I've had a look but aside from the coolant seeming a bit low in the expansion tank, there's nothing obvious. She said the engine heated up quite quickly. I've topped up the coolant and run the engine for a minute but the orange light stayed on.

She had Googled the problem and discovered it could be a loose petrol cap so she checked that. Is that true? Seems a bit daft to me when the filler cap isn't part of the engine but I live to learn so ....

Anything I can check or try? Remember I'm a relative simpleton but I'll give most things a go.

Gratitude as always.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If the check engine light is on, you will need to have the code read with with an OBD reader.

That will tell you more about what the car is unhappy about.

3. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Speedy. Apparently the filler cap thing is quite common - who knew? Nothing else seems wrong. Car is running as normal, no misfiring or roughness. It does have a tendency to get up to temp really quickly so that's not unusual. We're keeping a watching brief.

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Could be a dozen different reasons! But I'd be amazed if it was the petrol cap being loose.

Buying a cheap (less than a tenner) code reader will remove guesswork and the waiting for a reoccurrence. It could be something that next time could result in a breakdown.

5. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right, thanks Zebster. I thought it was nuts when my wife told me but it's all over the place if you do a search. Something to do with the car thinking there's a hole in the fuel system because the cap isn't properly sealed. But yes, could be a lot of things, as is also in the search results. Better get a code reader, methinks .....

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    You can get cheap OBD ones like these

They will interogate certain elements of the cars ECU, but won't touch the ABS, SRS etc areas. They would need a proper diagnostic tool so depending on the issue, the cheap one may be worthless, but for the price, its worth a shot.

Anyway, the cheap one, you plug into the OBD port of your car and then connect to it through bluetooth on your phone or tablet etc using apps such as OBD Check or Torque. It will hopefully at least give you an idea.

brian62c likes this.
  7. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well Nighthawk, thanks for the above but things have moved on a little since I was last here ....
    I didn't have the time to do anything with the CR-V and it was long overdue some TLC so ... off it went to the local franchise for an intermediate service, plug change and diagnostic check. Bit pricey, to say the least, but I've never yet managed to find a decent local independent I trust. Anyway, the car is certainly running better - but even the Honda techs, with, presumably, their expert knowledge, training, kit, etc, couldn't find any reason for the orange light. It stayed off for a couple of days - then came right back on!
    It's been off and on a couple of times since. More on than off. The car is also still a bit reluctant to get going from cold, which it was before having the service. Starts okay but chugs and coughs and splutters somewhat until it warms up. Not a clue where to go from here - but we may be downsizing it anyway before long, thanks to our lovely Government's tax credits cuts. Hey-ho ....

8. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right, so the past couple of days I've taken the CR-V to work so I could pick up a drum kit for sprog 1.
    The orange light has gone off both days but only after the engine has well and truly warmed up. Next morning it was back on.
    Anyhoo, left work this afternoon and drove three minutes to nearest roundabout. Pulled on to it at a suitable moment - and couldn't pull across! Damn thing tried its best to die on me and just would hardly crawl along in the face of all the oncoming traffic.
    Some nifty clutch work and feathering of the throttle just about got me enough revs to get away but it was a bit hairy, to say the least.
    It felt as if there was no fuel getting through. Is that feasible? The more I initially tried to accelerate, the more the revs dropped and it tried to die. This was in first gear, going into second, then back into first to dig myself out.
    What's going on!? Our trusty Honda is misbehaving!

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    So you're saying that you have Check engine light but no codes are found when a scanner is plugged in ?

10. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It had a full diagnostic done by Honda when it went in for service - but the light happened to be off at the time, typically!
    They said they could back-trace the fault when I booked it in - but it seems they couldn't.
    It's running fine apart from this weird attempted stalling/fuel starvation business when cold.
    I've put Shell performance fuel in today, to see if it'll help any.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Did the Shell Performance help Brian?

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It's very odd for the MIL to have lit up without a diagnostic trouble code having been stored (even if the light goes off, the code remains stored indefinitely, until manually deleted).

Are you sure they actually tried to read the stored DTCs? As already said, get yourself cheap scanner of your own!

13. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nels - not really. Seems to run marginally better on it generally but hasn't helped the orange light situation or the choking and dropping its revs when starting from cold.
    Seb - who knows what they actually did? I'd come to the same conclusion about needing my own scanner. However, it's going in for MOT on Saturday and if the light is on they're going to check it out. I'm not holding my breath though on a Saturday.

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Sorry to see there's no improvement @brian62c
    :goodluck: on Saturday with the MOT

brian62c likes this.
  15. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers Nels - obviously it passed with flying colours. No advisories or anything. The usual relief all round

I am going to pick up a code reader and get to the bottom of this orange light business though - just as soon as it stops blinkin' raining!

Nels likes this.
  16. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Just reading and a question just to make sure. Is the light the one illuminated or the one circled in red in the photo? I had problems with the one which is lighting in the photo it's is the post cat o2 sensor, single wire, in my case due to corrosion on the connector. The engine light should put up a code. This was on a gen 1 CR-V so things might have changed and the running of the engine in my case wasn't changed.
    light.

brian62c likes this.
  17. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's hard to see from the photo Zack but I think it must be the one circled in red. However, the lights are slightly different on the gen 2. It's still coming on intermittently but we have noticed that it's usually when the weather is cold and damp. On a warmer (above about 12 degrees) dry day, it doesn't come on at all. Car seems to be running okay for the most part so .... apart from it's latest trick - leaking its power steering fluid :annoyed:

I'm just about to trawl the site for hints and tips on how to go about changing one of the hoses so I may shortly be posting .....

And I am ashamed to confess Nels, I still haven't got myself a cheap code reader! But then, it hasn't yet often stopped raining in this part of Wales :Wink:

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:forgiven:

brian62c likes this.
  19. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hee hee - what is it they say? The road to something is paved with good intentions .... :Smile:

20. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Hull?

brian62c likes this.