General Ownership

Discussion in 'Civic' started by vzh7gk, Thursday 11th Sep, 2014.

1. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    So, does anyone here own a Civic Hybrid?
    Or perhaps has owned, but moved on... :Smile:

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I haven't noticed any in the Club Garage. :Unknown:

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    They're pretty rare, I've only ever seen 3 on the road. The last of which was incidentally earlier today:

2014-09-13 18.35.31.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Very rare indeed , get the hybrid out and put in a seriously tuned K24 engine give the FD2 a run for its money.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  5. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Thanks for that.
    I have found a number up to around end 2005 for sale, but newer ones seem to be non-existent on used market...
    Just trying to get an idea of real life ownership.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It's hard with the hybrids as they've never really taken off here, the Insight, CR-Z and Jazz hybrid aren't as rare.

7. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    So, the answer is "bite the bullet", or try to get a whole day's test drive minimum...
    Ho hum!

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'd say a good long test drive is a good idea, there might not be much in the way of hybrid owners in the club but we can still get Honda literature and material to help support maintaining her :Smile:

9. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    That's good to know. Thanks.
    Might be a trip to Bristol at the weekend (unless they've sold it first)...

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Let us know if you do decide to go :Smile:

11. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Yes. Once I get a chance to phone the dealer.
    It depends on whether the car has had the main battery pack replaced. If not, it's not worth the trip, with Honda quoting 10 year life in their literature.
    Might be back to hunting for an LPG conversion (currently the only H I can find within 100 miles is an '02 CR-V, in London, which has a large dent in the N/S rear quarter, missing the cap over the LPG filler, but worst of all is an auto...).
    There must be others out there, but its finding them...

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

On the LPG side, I'd honestly say just buy a Honda to convert. It'll sound like a sales pitch but @SpeedyGee's work is outstanding and I'm sure he can guide you through the entire process. He'll likely be doing mine one day.

13. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Hehe,
    Well, I think that hybrid is a no. Gentleman on t'other end of the line could hardly speak English! Yes, new battery - the little 12V one.
    Will keep looking, but...
    As for LPG it makes sense to fit new to a newer car. However, as all I'm looking for is a relatively cheap shopping trolley to replace the Polo, it's not economically viable, whereas some extra for an already converted car is (sort of!). Even to the extent of an already converted lightweight 4x4.
    Most of my motoring pennies go on the Mog and Land Rover (the LR had a full rebuild - chassis / bulkhead repair, galvanising etc. etc. to the tune of err, well, less than buying a new LR - didn't want a new one...).
    So, I'm looking for a cheap'ish runabout which won't bother me too much if it gets bashed in car parks etc... And I'm aiming to get away from diesel (though I do like the low fuel use!).

14. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Hopefully pop up to Leicester to view a '55 plate 1.4 on Saturday week...

15. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Well, I've satisfied my own curiousity as regards the hybrid bits (particularly the Ni-MH batery pack - company in Reading will do a refurb for £600, so reasonable). Now the question comes - is there anything Civic specific (1.3/1.4) that I should be particularly aware of when looking at used? '55 plate, manual box, saloon, must be one of the last before the new shape around '06 plate. Are cams belt or chain driven? (having done the Polo belt back in Feb, I'm not ready to do another just yet!)... Suspension problems, rust traps?

Cheers,

16. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    So, it was probably worth the look. Unfortunately I found they didn't know how to care for a hybrid pack when jump starting the car, so the thought of damage to the electronics put me off. I also found the driving position aggravated my present sciatica, though given time I might have been able to find a better position. So, for the present, no Honda (except my portable genny and previously owned 2-wheelers!). At least the Panda is comfortable (strange though it may seem) compared to the Polo, has roof bars to fit my antenna mounts to and, though step-daughter called it a "grandad's car" (her father has one) makes a reasonable "shopping trolley/cummutacar". Compared to a Panda 45 that I owned 14 years ago, this newer model is almost luxurious - everything is relative though!! :Smile:

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Ah man, well you've tried your best to find something which is suitable for your purpose.

Though you could still pick up an EK/EP Civic and LPG for a total cost of £1500-2000 if you're lucky :Whistle:

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    A small engined car with LPG would be super, super cheap to run

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I keep telling the other she should get a 1.4 Jazz and LPG it - imagine the petrol-equivalent costs?

20. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Yup.
    As for small engined converted cars, I found a Cat D Fiesta for £550 - errr, no thanks, but not much else.
    One day the right Honda will appear... :Smile: