Forced Induction P1237

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Tuesday 10th May, 2016.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The CR-V has thrown up the dreaded P1237 code and unfortunately it's been a year since Honda fitted the reconditioned turbo so I don't think there'll be any comeback there. Gone into limp home mode.

Fuel filter was changed a year ago (so Honda say) and I cleaned the EGR full system completely so I doubt that has become clogged up again. BP fuel always used.

I've noticed the braided tube from the top of the turbo (wastegate) is a little frayed and in my opinion doesn't seem to be on as far up the nipple as it could be but it's tight enough. Perhaps a split in there?

Also dreading it could be the EVR, pricey.

Any thoughts? It's going into a trusted engineer but wouldn't mind a few suggestions? Annoying as it's been running faultless until now.

Cheers.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Can the EVR solenoid be tested or cleaned I wonder ?

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    On some I-CTDI variants the turbo EVR can be swapped with one of the other EVRs (EGR or IMRC) as a test. You'd need to compare the part numbers. The boost control linkage between the EVR actuator and the turbo can become sticky (sometimes after a manifold replacement).

P1237 may also be leaky boost pipework or even a cracked intercooler.

Genuine Fuel Filter & P1237 DTC (Engine & Gearbox - )

SpeedyGee likes this.
  4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers, I'll pass the comments on. There's a clear cylinder which I think is an air filter for the boost which I had also replaced in my previous quest to solve the turbo noise.

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    EVR valves do need an air admittance path, and that has to have a filter.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
  7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Engineers have reported back as having found and fixed the problem, the wastegate wasn't operating properly. Seems odd considering this part was definitely refurbed by Honda (well the turbo place they sent it to) as I remember how new it looked when it came back from Honda compared to the original. Maybe they just buffed up the exterior and ripped Honda off?

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Never had a turbo apart, but I didn't think that VNT types had a wastegate?

In fact, I'm pretty sure they don't...

Nighthawk likes this.
  9. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Seb your right as far as I remember the vnt on a vw I had a few years ago never had a waste gate,it was a rotating ring and vanes that had the same effect, I remember some people using over cleaner to free the vanes off! Not sure I would be keen on that tho

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I don't think it's a waste gate in the traditional sense but that's the part which does something similar to a wastegate. Not sure but someone said it and it stuck in my head.

Anyway, here's the process they followed :

Process as follows: Check EML illuminated, carry out systems checks, turbo boost pressure lower than expected, strip as required, trace to pressure control actuator, repair, rebuild and road test, turbo boost pressure test passed.

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Sounds like it was the variable nozzle assembly?

12. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It sticks that's what leads to limp mode problems. From what I remember the advice I received and read about was don't baby the car give it some stick a few time a month to keep the vanes free

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That's exactly what they advised. Need to blast it sometimes to clear things up. My dad has this inbuilt notion that you should never rev a car above 2,000rpm as he thinks it puts stress on the engine. It infuriates me as the poor car never gets to breathe! There's a redline for a reason!

It would be horrible to be a passenger as he would constantly pull away in 2nd or seriously underrev in 1st making the car shake. Or go around a roundabout in 4th! We finally managed to get him to stop it but he'd still change gear at around 2,000rpm.

14. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm 50 and when I first had a car yet couldn't rev it as the always broke down lol

legend-ary likes this.