Engine & Gearbox P2004 - Frequency Solenoid Valve

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Bones126, Thursday 30th Apr, 2015.

1. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Morning

Had a quick scan about this P2004 code and seems to be a regular issue across the diesel range, if I'm correct in reading it's a recognised manufacturing fault?

Does anyone know where about on the FR-V I find the Frequency Solenoid Valve?
    Is it an easy replacement job?
    How much do it cost to replace? Or is it a warranty job?

Thanks in advance for any help
    Dave

P2004.PNG

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've been looking at that also with my CR-V but as no code is coming up I'm leaving it alone because it's quite expensive for a shot in the dark. If you look up lings honda parts and then search for "vacuum" page it should be in there.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Would it be item 14 here? Shouldn't be difficult to replace if it's anything like my car, once the engine cover is off access is right there.

Honda FR-V 2006 2.2 SE INSTALL PIPE/VACUUM PUMP (-'06) (DIESEL) - Original Honda Parts | Lings Honda

Can't believe how much item 6 is with the FR-V as it's only £25 for the CR-V!!! (Honda CR-V I-CTDI 2008 2.2 EX INSTALL PIPE/VACUUM PUMP (DIESEL) - Original Honda Parts | Lings Honda

3. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Thanks for that @ArcticFire , you are obviously much better at searching them me lol

£148 then, hopefully some discount from Holdcraft.

The problem is an intermittent one and one that only seems to appear when I don't fill up with Shell or BP.
    Does anyone know what this issue affects if the part is not replaced.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Apparently a leak develops within the valve. The replacement part is a redesigned one. I believe it has something to do with the IMRCs.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  6. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Thanks @SpeedyGee & @Ichiban , looks like a call to Holdcraft next pay-day then.
    The MIL light is off again now I have filled up with Shell V-Power and run it through and showing no fault codes apart from the Stored one, Shows how sensitive this engine is unless its just coincidental. But a proven fault with it so may as well eliminate it!

Thanks again guys, much appreciated all :Niceone:

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm pretty sure you can swap over the IMRC and turbo FSVs as a diagnostic test.

Bones126 likes this.
  8. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Thanks @Zebster , will take a look and see if there is nothing obvious such as a split / loose pipe etc first and then look at cross checking. Cheers :Niceone:

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    To be honest it's only because I've been recently studying this area because of the problem I have with my car. I may visually check my frequency solenoid out also.

Bones126 likes this.
  10. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    i have been getting this code about every 2 months for a year or so. I took it my trusty mechanic who said the problem was more of a glitch than anything, between the sensor / timing etc.
    two things trigger it for me:
    1 doing 30mph in 4th gear with light throttle ; occasionally.
    2 starting the car again about 15/20 mins after a good run ; will show immediately.
    resetting the code straight away with my reader and it doesn't come back on for weeks usually which shows that my trusty mechanic is correct it's just a glitch. reset your light and see how quick it comes back on.
    as your light is programmed to stay on for a while regardless if the fault is still present so you A) notice it, and B) take it to a honda dealer and fork out some cash.

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Hmm, A 'glitch' is a fault that a mechanic can't find, and you have a fault! It isn't a sensor/timing thing, P2004 shows that your IMRC swirl valves are failing to achieve the correct position, either because they have become crudded up, or - more likely - your FSV is failing (it's a known problem and Honda later updated the valve). It's fine that you are happy to put up with it (and it won't cause any harm), but it could be fixed. I imagine it'll eventually get worse.

12. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    I think what he meant was the it's not always doing it quite as fast as it should so registers a fault

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    That's because it IS a fault... the IMRC swirl valves need to move quite fast to match the varying running conditions and so optimise combustion.

I guess I'd not rush into fixing it either, but it'll fail the MOT if the engine warning light is on.

14. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    New IMRC valve ordered today, thanks to Gareth at @Holdcroft Honda for sorting for me :Niceone:

Fingers crossed thats the end to the problem as it's becoming more persistent now.

15. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    New IMRC valve fitted last night, thanks to Gareth at Holdcraft for the speedy delivery :Niceone:

Lets see if that stops the error, although the Denso part number on the valve was the same as the one that came off so time will tell. No MIL light on at the moment, but it wasn't on when I changed it over :-/ Fingers crossed, cuz that helps technically lol