Engine & Gearbox P2138 & P2148 Throttle position sensor

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Doc, Wednesday 16th Sep, 2015.

1. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    So for a couple of months when I've been cruising along I've felt a slight intermittent fault with the car either feeling like it was momenterily backing off or picking up. This has been happening between 1600 RPM and about 2300 RPM.

I got the injectors recalibrated thanks to @Ichiban, and although the problem seemed to get a bit better (one of the injectors was a bit out), there was still a slight issue. I'd also recently changed the fuel filter as it was due for its 24k miles change (my service intervals are half Hondas recomendations for all fluids and filters) so that was that box ticked. But the problem persisted. I've recently replaced the vacuum valve solenoid to the turbo which failed. The symptoms of which led me to believe this was the problem as coming off and on boost would cause the backing off and picking up symptoms.

The symptoms however came back after a few days and this morning during rush hour traffic, in the outside lane on one of cambridgeshires busiest roads, and with a repeated judder, the ECU light and VSA light both came on. I lost all use of the accelerator pedal and when I managed to pull the car over it was idling at 1200 RPM instead of the usual 800 RPM.

The green flag man has confirmed codes P2138 and P2148 which both relate to the throttle position sensor (TPS). He removed the cover on the sensor, disconnected the wiring plug and checked it was clean with a confident blow, then cleared the engine codes. The car seemed to behave itself on the 15 mile drive back home but this could, being an intermittent fault, be temporary. He suggested it could be a one off, but with the preceeding 2-3 months symptoms this, to me, seems more of a unit which is failing.

I've read some people have just cleaned the sensors wiring connector and others have needed to change the TPS depending on which of these codes have appeared. With both P2138 and P2148 codes appearing is cleaning the TPS just a temporary and futile solution on a unit which is ultimately destined to fail? Or can both these codes be the result of a dirty wiring connector?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    See how it goes for a few days before you decide its fault, diesel do exhibit these behaviours and are considered as traits.

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Thanks, I was planning on giving it a clean and see how it goes this week in a vain hope it's just dirty. I was thinking if this is known to likely turn into a recurring problem with the sensor then I'd replace it sooner rather than later to save the hassle. I'll give it one last chance before replacing it.

What's best to clean a wiring connector with?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I use Silkolene Contact Cleaner, but you can get others.

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Thanks, I'll give it a go.