Feedback/Help Pages Lagging and Postbox Issues: Members Please Report

Discussion in 'Feedback, Help & Suggestions' started by Zebster, Thursday 23rd Jul, 2015.

1. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    So it's not just me!

It started a couple of nights agoon just one thread, but now I can hardly post on any... I'm typing this blind, as the characters still haven't started to appear!!!

Bones126 likes this.
  2. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I normally use my phone to post, but that is totally unusable.

3. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Same here

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm struggling to post comments today, or even read some threads with a heavy picture content. Obviously starting this thread indicates that I do still have limited access, but it's very slow and painful. If you can throw your mind back 15 years to using a 486 powered machine with minimum memory on a 56k dial-up modem, then that's where I'm currently at. This started a couple of nights ago.

My internet connection is as good as usual and all other internet access appears normal. The problem is present on my usual crappy old XP laptap, a newer, fairly decent Windows 7 PC and a new HUDL2 Android pad. Others have also commented about the problem in another thread.

Is it a widespread problem?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's probably down to the fact that the forum doesn't limit the size of photos that can be uploaded by forum users. So when people have bad settings on their phone generating massive pictures that are then directly uploaded to the forum unedited, that's when threads become exceedingly slow to load, especially when a lot of pictures have been added to a post.

@DeviateDefiant maybe worth imposing a limit on photo size??

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  6. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    guilty :Whiteflag:

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Definitely a problem @DeviateDefiant can deal with

What threads do you have a problem with?

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I and @Ichiban from the start decided we didn't want to limit image quality and allow everything to be shown in it's full glory. But then as members upload things direct from their phone as @SpeedyGee says it can generate ridiculous things like 50MB pages when there's a few. I normally sort this out by running some scripts to identify and downsize them, though I haven't done it in a little while.

Soon as I have my own home net connection back I'll get this sorted, it hasn't been done in a couple of months as it stands!

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Threads I could read only a few days ago are now difficult. I don't think it's the size of the pictures... I agree with the philosophy that picture quality should not be compromised. The longer I spend, even on this picture-free thread, the slower my laptop is becoming (and I can hear the processor cooling fan ramping up). In another thread (the one where we've been discussing bleeding the clutch/greasing the release mechanism) one of the other posters complained that they could no longer use their smartphone on the forum. Something bad is happening for some of us!

10. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    Picture size has nothing to do with picture quality. In fact most pictures look better in a smaller size. Seb have you tried doing a clean up of your hard drive

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It isn't a problem on just one machine and, in any case, all hard drives are regularly purged using CCleaner. Other internet access appears to be fine. As soon as I log into HK, the laptop fan speeds up and the keyboard response becomes painfully slow. On my HUDL2 last night the lower half of the screen became unviewable while on HK.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

This should be sorted when @DeviateDefiant runs his script that identifies large pictures and reduces them.

That's correct.

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    There isn't any large pictures in this thread!

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

This thread loads slowly ??

I've not seen any other performance related issues on the site.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

We'll look into it guys !

Bones126 likes this.
  16. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I didnt have any problems yesterday on both PC and ipad.

17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I see you've found some other members who are having similar issues

Yes, this thread is causing my PC to run very, slowly... even using the arrow keys to move the cursor around has a long delay.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yeah I saw the other thread afterwards.

Leave it with us, we'll look into it.

Zebster likes this.
  19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    If this isn't related to picture size, I don't immediately know what to suggest - I've made no major changes to the site at all in the past couple of months and would suggest trying a different browser to see if it still occurs.

@ArcticFire had an issue a while back that was similar to this, though I haven't heard anything on it in a while.

I'm going to dig into this further, what doesn't make sense to me is that this has occurred out of the blue without me making any changes.

20. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    may be a daft suggestion but if the users have opted for the windows 10 release then the computer will be doing a lot of behind the scene work downloading etc. . this will be generally affecting performance.