Body, Paint & Styling paint aging

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by crv2014ex, Sunday 1st May, 2016.

1. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    Having had passion red pearl for just over 18 months I'm a little disappointed in the "softness" of this finish. Front of car looks like the space shuttle after rentry - really peppered with tiny paint chips. Seems bad for a car with just over 11K on the clock and not that many on the motorway.
    Any one else noticing a similar effect?
    The nighthawk black pearl on my 3rd Generation CR-V seemed far more robust, or maybe because that was second hand I didn't notice care as much.

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've got a few stone chips already also, mainly because of the huge amount of crap that seems to be on our roads, especially after roadworks - stones everywhere.

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

My (metallic silver) Accord was terrible for this - exactly as you describe @crv2014ex

My previous metallic silver VW Tiguan was even worse...but the silver Renault Scenic I had before that was much more resistant.

However, my white orchid CR-V is MUCH better - so far - than any of them. I've now done 8k miles and have three small stone chips only!

I'd assumed that was the car rather than the colour, but perhaps not. I'm sure @Zoot has the same colour as you and hasn't suffered much?

When I complained about the VW (just one thing from a very long list!) I was told by the dealer that VW paint is very hard, which makes it brittle, and thus more prone to chipping although easier to keep shiny with little maintenance. I've no idea if that is a fact, but was what I was told. Also that the water based paints all manufacturers use are less sturdy than previously.

As a further aside, when I went to the MINI factory to see my Cooper built, they explained that MINI put a rubber compound into the paint specifically to try and resist chipping. They also (in 2004 anyway) dipped rather than sprayed. My solid red Cooper has just one chip after 12k miles and 12 years, so there must be something in it...

4. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have several "chips" where the paint has been pushed off the surface like a rice pudding skin. This is a bugger to touch in as it looks like a wrinkled scrotum when completed, pardon the analogy

5. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    I took up the option to have 'Life Shine' applied on Mk IV, I know it's primarily for looks, but it's a resin based filler so is probably a bit tougher. There's no damage in over 10 months 8k miles.

6. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This baby has Lifeshine too.

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Its a combination of thin paint that Honda use and that of the utterly crap condition of the roads in this God-forsaken land that contribute to the paint damage.

Then you have the added problem of the surface are of the CR-V itself - its a lot more flatter/spread than the 3rd Generation, which had a bumper with a lot of plastic cladding right from the undertray almost to the nose. In summary, the blistered roads have a bigger frontal area to collide with. Short of not driving, there isnt a fat lot that can be done about it.

MickyB likes this.
  8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

There's always SOMETHING you can do...whether you should is another matter!

9. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    NOOOOOO!
    That reminds me of my old BL bangers in the 70s when the underseal hiding the rust reached halfway up the doors!

Pete C

FirstHonda likes this.
  10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well my super sexy aero bumper took a sharp stone chip to the front right in the middle of it. Now I've a scratch there after 3k of miles. Oh well. I just get used to these things happening.

11. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    @FirstHonda & @crv2014ex I've had my passion red CR-V for 15 months and covered almost 23000 miles with one blistered bit of paintwork on the plastic bumper which is around 3mm. There are a couple of other small stone chips on the bumper but with the plastic being black they're not really noticeable. When I got the car I put a fairly thick coat of Colonite Insulating Wax on the front and maybe this has helped. ( or maybe just in the mind!!!)

FirstHonda likes this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I'm pretty sure its all in the mind...but you never know.

:Unknown:

13. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Probably directly proportional to the price you paid lol.
    Chip = age of x price x who's
    severity. car. paid. driving.