Detailing Paint Defect Correction?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by TheDarkKnight, Sunday 11th Mar, 2012.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just a quickie really - I'm not a perfect detailer etc by any means but have noticed some light surface scratches on the front drivers side wing that don't seem to disappear. Cleaned the car earlier and used HD wax at the end so looks all fine, however upon visual inspection, the scratches are still there, even if only faint.

Took a couple of pics but they don't show up so well.

An recommendations on remedying this is much appreciated.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Taken from Polished bliss website, They are the only webiste I trust for advise in the UK. If you are going to fix it by hand then this is the guide.

To correct swirl marks and other light to moderate defects (fine scratches and etching) on your car, we recommend a two stage process starting with Menzerna Power Finish (203S) in conjunction with Lake Country Light Cut Hand Pads. Working small areas at a time using firm pressure should enable you to correct around 90% of the defects present in just 1-2 attempts per panel. Any remaining defects should then be partially hidden and the overall finish refined with Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish in conjunction with Meguiar's Microfibre Applicator Pads. Working on small areas at a time using light pressure should enable you to partially hide any remaining defects and maximise gloss in just a single attempt per panel. You should be aware from the outset that although this method will yield good results, it will require a significant amount of hard work!

menzerna-pf2500-250ml-lg.

blackfire-gloss-enhancing-polish-lg.

lake-country-light-cut-hand-pad-lg.

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks CJ :Smile:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    which option you going for Saj?

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    machine polisher is the best method and always get consistent results with it.. but to keep cost down and you get exposure to paint correction that's why I recommended the by hand correction method.

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Knowing my luck I would end up ruining something with a polisher, so "hand jobs" it is for me!

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Still not happy with the results - or maybe because I have strong eyesight that I can see even minute imperfections. Very tempted to try the machine polisher next. No pics as my BlackBerry is on charge (duh) but after washing just now (by hand with brand new bucket/sponge etc), the paint defects on the wing are cheesing me off.

Got a good mind to take it to Honda and ask them to rectify it. Surface scratches shouldnt take this much effort to cure - granted, the paint used is not exactly thick either, but the more I look at it, the more pee'd off I become.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Saj don't tell me you still use a Sponge? if you do then there is your culprit dude.

You want to be using lambswool mits and when using it in striaght stroke, circular motion is the swirl generator.

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry no, not a sponge (as in sponge) - I have the mitts CJ - I just call it a sponge since functionality wise, they do the same job. LOL :Smile:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Phew relief .. you sure ask the audience? lol

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No audience to ask!

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    True too shy to come out of their shell.

14. sev Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mitts are not so good too. Sand and dirt sticks to them and thats how you get your car scratched. The best thing is a brush. Belive me or not, the safest way to wash any car. I only use them and never had any problems until my only one unlucky visit to hand car wash where they used mitts. NEVER EVER! Bustards, didnt even agreed they've done it.
    So before pulling over to Victoria Car Wash in Mcr or any other robbers - think twice!

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It despend in how you use the wash mits , I persoianlly don't like grit gaurds two bucket method and cleaning is a straight sweep manner will ensure zero swrils.

you can have the best product but if the techquine is poor then should not blame the mit.

I dare you going to detailingworld and challenge them with your theory of using brushes on car , the welcome will be quite hostile.