Body, Paint & Styling Paint

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Tuesday 2nd Apr, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Been doing a little searching but can't seem to get a definite answer. Does my car have a clear coat? I don't think it does because the touch-up pen from Honda dealer doesn't come with a separate pen for clear coat but is there any way to find out for sure? Got some marks on my rear bumper and a previous poor paint job that I thought I could live with but it's bugging me, especially after a nice waxing session and the rest is let down by it. Cheers!

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think it does have a clear coat, as mines slightly damaged on the bonnet. You can see where it is quite clearly.

3. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    If you polish a small area with a light cutting polish and pad and there is paint transfer on the pad then it won't have clearcoat. I'm can't help further as i'm new on the forum and don't own an Accord but i'm hoping to be involved in the detailing section.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    All of the 7th Generation had clear coat , I don't if there is a colour that Honda does which is not. The common misconception is the Milano red does not have one but it does the clear coat is pink in colour. Touch up pen are for seal up the damage they are not for professional repairs.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers, for some reason I was struggling to find the paint code as when looking up other codes there wasn't an obvious one showing that was in the same format. I think I was looking on the wrong sites as I've easy found it now on the car being NH623M. Well, hopefully I can't do a worse job than what's currently there! lol

Any recommendations as to where to get good paint from?

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Are you looking for aersol cans or do you have a spray gun ?

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just going to use aerosol cans, I used to have a compressor and gun etc but didn't use it enough to justify keeping it. I'm not too fussed as it's just the bumper and anything will be an improvement! lol Checked out Dingbro and they want £15 for a 400ml can!!!!! Even the guy on the phone said he wouldn't pay that.

Halfords are doing 300mm for £7 and it's probably just the same waterbased paint. They've got my colour already stocked so I'm hoping it will be a good colour match seeing as it's pre-mixed. The last time I got them to mix it in store the colour match was terrible so I'll not be doing that again! So, I've got primer, paint and clearcoat and I think I'll remove the bumper rather than mask up the car. Been looking online for the removal and it seems straightforward enough, although I had a quick peek under my arch and I seem to have pins instead of screws. I should probably have a longer look!

Planning to do it this weekend and then give it a week or two to harden properly before sanding (if necessary) and polishing. Hopefully this will go better than my last effort a few years ago! :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I think there's only two bolts and two screws holding the rear bumper on.

The two bolts are along the bit where the boot lid comes down.

The two screws are placed at the very ends of the bumpers in the wheel arch and face downwards.

Take these out then it's just a case of uncliping the bumper.

Last edited: Wednesday 3rd Apr, 2013
  9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers. Would this be of interest to anyone else, as in is it worth me doing a DIY thingy?

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Tell me which year colour code you want to know and i will get you the entire lot!

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers, I've already bought it all yesterday but as I'm most likely going to make a complete mess of it I'm sure to be back in touch!