Engine & Gearbox paranoid

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by casey jones, Sunday 14th Jul, 2013.

1. casey jones Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Having read articles on this forum suggesting that the ICTDI is a disaster waiting to happen, I now find my self expecting it to sound like a bag of nuts at any moment. Mines done 110,000 and apart from a whine which is worst when cold( still has long belt short one ordered)goes well and has full honda service history which I intend to keep up with me doing a 6000 oil change as well, but!!!! Are the diesels that bad as some people on this forum suggest I tend to keep listening to it am I becoming paranoid???

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I-CDTI engine was Honda first attempt at diesel and if you ask me a damn good one.
    My old diesel Accord was so quiet on idle some people thought its a petrol.
    Every modern diesel has its problems.
    I can only say enjoy the car and don't look for something that might or might not happen.
    Service it regularly and with correct oil and parts you should be good for many more miles..

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm not sure what year your I-CDTI is, but it's continually said that the facelift models (06-08) are far more reliable than the pre-facelifts.

4. casey jones Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry, forgot to put down the age, November 2005, hopeing because its a late pre facelift the timing chain isn't such a problem

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    If it helps I always try and put things in perspective to other cars. I think many people believe they can buy a Honda and nothing will ever go wrong, which we all know isn't true. It's still a machine and things can go wrong, but the odds are lower me thinks!

But what I seem to see is that typically if you get a problem with a Honda it's not usually something that will stop you being able to drive the car, more just an inconvenience. Whereas many other cars when they go wrong it can be big time: Piezoelectric injectors failing causing the whole car to shut down whilst driving, boots going on fire, major electronic control units not safe from water ingress, timing chains snapping at less than 20K miles despite being located at an inaccessible rear part of the engine indicating that they aren't designed to be changed and should last the life of the car.....the list can go on.

Mines not a Diesel but it's a 2005 with 65K and other than some cosmetic things I've done this is pretty much the only repair work I've had to do is:

Honda Related:
    - Serpentine Belt (fan belt) - started to make a noise when cold and would have lasted quite a while longer I reckon (but I'm a bit anal when it comes to sorting things pronto lol)
    - Wheel Alignment
    - Clutch pedal clicking - needed some grease

Not really the car's fault:
    - Wheel Balancing (due to using KwikFit-you-up having a badly calibrated machine so not the car's fault)
    - Two new tyres - not really the car's fault

And I did have a strange cold start issue which has now gone, but the car always started within a few seconds.

I've had the car since March and put three thousand miles on it which includes some pretty hard driving. I take it to the red line quite a lot (there's too many Audi's about :lol:) and nothing ever sounds stressed, there's no rattles coming from the suspension, engine etc. I've no fear that it will go bang and I have a lot in faith with Honda's engineers in Japan who put my car together. I think it's built into their culture and heritage to do a good job as a poor effort brings shame - if only it were like that here.

How about this, can you think of another car that you could buy which wouldn't make you worry?

PS. I can only think of one, the Honda Legend :Wink:

6. Rmachines Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well in the 5 years I have worked for honda I have never had one single ICTDI engine failure other than customers running them dry, or blatantly ignoring problems, I hear people on here saying they suffer from bottom end problems which is really not true, it's people running them dry of oil or wrong oil that causes the problems, they just don't self destruct. They have niggles, but so do all engines, DMF, turbo, fuel pump, injectors etc.. All generally seem to out live other manufacturers such as ford, vw, gm etc..

Your timing chain is probably noisy, they all are to a certain point, and will continue to be for ever more, only rarly do they start making a clattering/hammering noise which is time to replace, so don't be put off.

7. mushroom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just to be clear 2003-2008 I-CTDI engines (140BHP) from 2008 I-DTEC (176BHP), the new one make more problems with DPF issues, The ICTDI engine is one of the best diesel engine just after 3.0 BMW diesel (206BHP), most issues with ICTDI were removed from the I-DTEC engines.

I had two hondas with ICTDI engines, never had got any problems, just basic service, brakes etc....drive around 20-30k per year,

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Sacrilege! Whatever next, the burning of Honda owner manuals? :Aghast:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    With over 60 years experience and being the world largest producer of engine (petrol), take that statement with a boulder of salt Graham.:Wink:

Honda and a diesel masterpiece won't happen in Honda's lifetime.

10. AccordEZJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you listen to closely you will pick up noises from your engine bay which will get you paranoid, its a diesel its going to be loud, as long as it is driving fine enjoy it!

I've got a 2007 ctdi, its never missed a beat and its done over 150k, used daily with about 1000 miles a week average! Just service it on time using the correct oil & parts and don't worry about the odd noise here & there :Smile:

11. casey jones Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

At last a more balanced view, going to change oil every 6000 and filter, brought 25 litres from lubetech and 4 oil filters from HH, and see what happens, going to dingle in Kerry in September for a fishing competition usually do 1800 to 2000 miles in 2 weeks , I must admit I love the car, only had for 4 months , bexhill Honda tell me the previous owner looked after it , done what ever was needed straight away , but strange still got long belt, short one to be fitted when I can find a spare hour, hopefully will learn to trust it, returning from Ireland unscathed will help

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You are on a winner if you change the oil at 6000 mile , a few years ago this was the norm with a lot of diesel owners. But as the recession has kicked in regular servicing has taken a hit which makes matters worse.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have seen loads of I-CTDI self destructed in my time you been lucky not see them at your dealership.

56 Reg Civic I-CTDI, big ends chewed by aluminium shards when Swindon had a cleaning issue when assembling engines.

A few dozen oil pump chain snaps on FR-V, CR-V, Civics loads of Accord

A few Cylinder head changes as injectors seized on

Civic porous blocks leaking oil

Self destructed engine due to over revving (owners fault)