Off-Topic Parent friendly car

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nighthawk, Wednesday 25th Mar, 2015.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
  2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    They also need to ban passengers for a set period to make it safer

3. Nighthawk Guest

Install it with auto eject passenger seats if the driver ignores the bongs that they can't have passengers? Thats a good idea, I love it @Duc de Pommfrit

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Let them make crap like this, no wonder they're leaving European market this year!

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'd say it is better to trust young drivers, but within some sensible limits. This feels a bit "Big Brother" and I'm not sure I like it.

For me, I'd suggest things like:

- limiting drivers to an engine size of (say) 1.2 while they are learning, perhaps until they have been driving for 1 or 2 years - a bit like the motorcycle rules. Not sure I'd base this just on age TBH.
    - limiting drivers under a set age (19?) to only one passenger under age 21 in the car at a time. Some of the scariest driving I see is groups of 4/5 schoolchildren (sixth formers) on their way home, as some of them tend to show off a bit...not all, and the problem with any of these measures is that a minority cause the impact on the rest.

When I was 17 and learning to drive, my Father bought me a car (to protect his own I suspect!) which pretty much did all the above by default - a beige Lada Riva 1200L. Not something you were ever going to show off in, and not something many of the girls wanted a ride in either :Laughing:. Is that what they call "passive safety?"

SpeedyGee likes this.
  6. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Finding the balance between trust and control is difficult at the best of times, and ultimately depends on the child. Unfortunately many parents give the child carte blanche once out and about. I agree with limiting vehicle power, the K11 March comes to mind, driving times (unless to or from work), and passenger quantity under 21. Not sure about the UK but there are insurance company's offering GPS tracking/speed reporting for lower rates to young drivers here. I may leave it up to my prodigy if they want to pay the premium for freedom or have a hand from the parents in the car I have chosen.

Personally greater fines/points in the first couple of years for new drivers isn't a bad idea, and much heaver weighting of insurance premiums for minor modifications to the vehicle. The Hoodie up with heavily tinted windows, aftermarket HID's, Lexus lights, badly fitted body kit, fart can exhaust, and atrocious alloys all on a late '90s Corsa comes to mind... no they should just be banned altogether and the atrocity crushed.

I always thought they would be great for the school run.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Drive by school, eject child into school yard, perfect ! :Rolf:

8. Nighthawk Guest

don't get me started on schools. My kids school deem it as child neglect if you allow them to walk from the school entrance to their classrooms. Apart from that, they arent allowed to have their own stationary in their school bags either. Nanny state goes a bit too far at times. Not sure how a school expects a child to learn personal responsibility and the results of their own actions when they baby sit everything that they do.

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The system we have already is fine, drivers only have 6 points for the first two years and insurance companies discriminate against the young enough, we don't need draconian restrictions on what/when/where to drive!

I would say the biggest change that has to be made is to the driving test - there are thousands of drivers who have passed after learning for 5 days (in some cases) which is mental.. firms like this make it possible 5Day - Intensive Driving Courses

Firstly, making sure that new drivers have more experience (say 3 months?) behind the wheel is important.

Secondly is making the motorway a mandatory part of the test, I've seen countless drivers with such crap clutch control + nil awareness when they come onto the M25 - they happily potter around at 40mph in 5th on the slip and assume that they can get to 60+ with no issues in 5th in a few seconds! Then after that they have nil etiquette and hog the middle lane for eternity till their exit when they decide to get into the right lane in the last 0.2mi when their Tomtom tells them for the 3rd time to do so.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@Chunkylover53 you are 100% right about bringing motorway driving into the test. Having used the motorways a lot over the past 5 years, some of the things you see regularly are shocking, and I would put a lot of them down to inexperience and/or ignorance.

11. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    100% on the motorway and the test, here it's illegal to have a learner on the motorway, the first time they drive it is with a full license. I did all my drivers education in the US, not to say its perfect, but we did 3 months in classroom learning, many gory movies, two or so months of practical drivers education in the car with instructor, including many of the interstates (this was in/Chicago so 12 lane roads spaghetti like interchanges and so on). Then took the test. When I first moved to ROI you could send away for a learners permit and keep renewing it for all eternity having never taken any type of test or any type of education. The backlog at one point was bad enough that my father in-law was handed a full license without ever sitting a test :shock:. It has changed a good bit now for the better but no formal classroom training involved. The theory behind handling a car in icy, muddy or adverse conditions, off road recovery, tyre blowout or even basic mechanical problems like changing a tyre make a large difference to road safety.

Anyway off topic but there are times I think being able or having monitoring for young drivers can be an advantage in particular the US were in some states you can have a special permit to drive at 14.