General Parking sensor front - random / intermittent

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Walkerci385, Monday 20th Apr, 2015.

1. Walkerci385 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Chris Here
    Hi all
    Having some issues with my front parking sensors recently. They randomly go off when at slow speeds. Like in traffic or pulling off drive. It shows up front centre flashes an bleeps a few times then goes off then May or may not come on again etc.
    I'd like so say it's more likely to do it when pointing down hill but that might be my imagination or coincidence.
    I noticed it first when pulling off my drive which is a downward slope and it seemed to pick up the road or curb opposite and it seems to go off every time in this situation.
    When I'm in a traffic queue it's like it's over sensitive picking up the car in from from a greater distance than it should.
    Can't even tell which of the 2 front centre sensor it is and when parking the seem to both work fine.
    Anybody have any ideas? Or solutions?
    Is it possible to remove them without removing bumper?
    If it's a faulty unit is it worth getting one of the cheap £30 remanufactured replacements from ebay or dealer only which seems an eye watering high price :-0
    The car is 6 years old but I only bought it 6 months ago from a dealer and took out the extended warranty is it likely to cover them?

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It's customary for new members to Introduce Yourself

Take your Accord back to the dealer and they should sort that out for you.
    Let us know how you get on.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  3. Walkerci385 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Firstly sorry I had not introduced myself I hadn't realised I have been signed up for some time now. I have now posted an introduction to say hi.

I hoped Honda would look at it for me and ill give them a call sometime this week just wanted to see if it was something I could quickly check / do myself first.

Thanks

Chris

Nels likes this.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

NP Chris. Whilst under warranty, you might as well let them do it. If you were to try yourself and not fix it and then take it in, they could say you've invalidated the warranty.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Honda fixed my faulty sensor no problem, it's not really a wear and tear item. I sometimes get the rear one going off when engaged but nothing nearby but a quick wipe of the sensor sorts it. Sometimes a bit of dirt etc effects it, could just be very sensitive?

6. Walkerci385 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have given them another wipe but the same. I did notice what looks like a small stone chips but from under the paint on one of them see photo, could that cause it?
    I have also phoned honda booked in for Friday at dealers to have a look hopefully they will diagnose and fix it for me. If it's not under warranty I'll probably leave it untill it's completely broken can't afford the few hundred at the moment, it'll just drive me nuts in meantime:Smile:
    Thanks all I'll let you know how I get on.

Chris
    image.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    They should just replace it as they did with mine. Mine had a similar issue and they said it was corrosion.

8. Walkerci385 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sounds promising thanks, how old was yours when they replaced was it as old as mine which is a 58 plate. Got the 12 month honda happiness then extended for further 2 years? Also had the service plan for 3 years. So fingers crossed.
    To be fair though they have been excellent so far with every issue I have had.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    My car is also 2008, although it's a CR-V so I'm not sure if it uses the same sensors. Lings Honda Parts site would confirm this or not.

10. Walkerci385 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just looked and appears they are different. CR-V £122 each mine £293 each!! Fingers crossed I'm covered.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Ouch, that's some difference!

Ironically I just noticed tonight that my rear N/S bumper sensor has a big chunk peeled off. It's not colour coded and although it still works I'm going to give an Ebay one a try. £125 compared to £32 is a no brainer and it looks like an original one on Ebay also (unless it's a fake with Honda markings).

12. Walkerci385 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well it's been looked at honda - stone chips and not covered.:-(
    Gonna leave it for while as it's only intermittent.

But

Came home thought cleaning them again might help. Gave them another wipe and a bit of a pick whoops paint flaked off around the chips :-( touched them in, seem to still work ok though. Just don't look as good. Hopefully it doesn't make them worse :-0

13. Walkerci385 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry arcticfire I didn't see your previous post. Don't blame you with the £30 option worth a try:Smile: let me know how you get on and where from might give it a go:Smile:

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think it will be a bumper off job and I may try and look at spraying it while off as there are a few marks on it so can kill two birds.