Aftermarket Kit Parking sensors & towbar issues

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by WoodyYork, Wednesday 13th Jul, 2016.

1. WoodyYork Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Caleb York
    Just bought a used FR-V and decided to fit a towbar myself from PF Jones. All installed and working perfectly now, but I had incorrectly assumed that it wouldn't interfere with the parking sensors.

Unfortunately, they obviously pick it up and just give a constant long beep whenever the vehicle is in reverse. Looking for a little help and advice.

1. Is there any way of temporarily disabling the parking sensors so it doesn't drive us all mad whenever we reverse?
    2. Is it possible to just unplug or disable the two middle sensors, leaving the edge ones to do their job?
    3. If 2 isn't possible, how easy would it be for me to move the sensors further out from the centre?
    4. If I'm going to do 3, anyone got a diagram of the angle that the sensors beam out their radar?

Thanks in advance!

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Follow the wires to the inside, you'll see where the control box is. Most likely it's in the side panels either side of the boot. You can then try unplugging the centre two sensors, see if that helps. Otherwise, unplug the power connector to the control box and you'll get your sanity back when reversing.

3. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    I have a detachable tow bar on my car and it's fine but will check when it's connected.
    On the 8th Accord there is a switch right of the steering wheel to turn off the sensors but not sure if you have one on yours.

4. WoodyYork Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the tip. I've followed the wiring for the sensors. it basically joins the rear lights wiring loom near the back of the car then seems to cross from one side to the other then forwards. Any idea where the control box will be located? I *could* take off all the interior panels, but wondered if someone might give me a tip off to help pin down where to start looking.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Usually you'd expect it in one of the side panels in the boot.

6. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Mine was on offside rear below the speaker and above the wheel well. I disconnected the speaker wire which had a connector conviently tucked away in the rear light panel

7. bob_1978 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom bob Notts
    I'm surprised it does affect it-I did quite a lot of research before opting for a flange towbar, rather than swan neck or detachable. Mine does not affect the factory fitted reversing sensors. My electrics are mounted below though, so could make a difference. The 'Bosch park pilot box' is indeed in the side wall, accessed through the unclipable panel. Fuse is co-located.

8. WoodyYork Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I finally gt round to taking off panels today and looking for the control unit. On the offside all I found was the alarm siren and the wiper relay. No sign of a control box for parking sensors.

Any photos of the part I should be keeping an eye out for?

9. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    It will be tucked away to the left of the alarm siren behind the metal panel.

I had to remove the alarm siren to get to the module.
    - - - Updated - - -
    If you the black cabling seen on the right side of the picture follow that. You can see the bolts to the right of the ground bolt, those are holding the module.

Attached Files: