Electrical & Lights Parking Sensors

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by iceman2010, Monday 2nd Nov, 2015.

1. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Hey, a couple of weeks ago the rear parking sensors just gave a constant tone when reversing. They were fine the night before but not the next morning. Now I don't know if i have original/genuine sensors or aftermarket but when I had the car on the ramp they appear to be really well fitted and are bosch sensors which i'm told a lot of manufacturers use.

The 2 side ones are higher and the 2 in the middle are lower down the bumper. the 2 lower ones have the paint peeling and one has some contaminant. Is there any way to test whether or which sensor is faulty or whether its the control box?

IMG_0874.JPG

2. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Unfortunatley, I can't help with the fault but they don't look like factory fitted sensors to me.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    They don't look factory to me either. Have a look behind the bumper (from underneath) or inside behind the trim in the boot. You should see the wires heading towards the control box. Follow the wires to the control box.

The sensors should be plugged into the control box individually. Try disconnecting one sensor at a time to try and narrow down the faulty one.

Bones126 likes this.
  4. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    As Speedy say really ^^^^
    Sounds daft, but have you give the a good clean and removed any peeling paint from them? One may be picking up something on it to give it a constant feed, or there may be water in the sensor?

5. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    I removed the 2 that had peeling paint and cleaned, removed the paint and resprayed. Yet to fit them back in.

I will have another ago to try and locate the control box and give that a try.
    Thanks

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

7. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Hi yes, so repainting didnt help, also listen to each sensor while car in reverse and could hear clicking from every sensor which most likely means they are working. So then tried to locate the control box. Started at the wire adjoined to the rear reverse light and found a label with a honda part number. So it looks like it is a genunie honda kit. The constant sound i get on reverse is actaully different to the sound that you get on close proximity its a lot deeper so i don't think its the sensors but maybe the control box. Need to try and locTe this but looks like. The boot trim on wheel arch needs to come off, so how does this come off??

Attached Files:

8. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nels likes this.
  9. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Thanks for that. Also just came across your thread and the issue you had sounds exactly like mine, a short beep then a constant tone. How did you resolve it?

10. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Thanks for that. Also just came across your thread and the issue you had sounds exactly like mine, a short beep then a constant tone. How did you resolve it?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks for that. Also just came across your thread and the issue you had sounds exactly like mine, a short beep then a constant tone

11. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's not fixed yet unfortunately. I bought the car with the fault a year ago, life has just been so busy. I have a feeling the control unit is in the boot, either under the carpet or driver side tailight area somewhere.

12. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    my interior has recently been fully stripped for the sound deadening, , the control box for the parking sensors was behind the rear left quater trim,, between the wheel well and the light.

kes likes this.
  13. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Yes that sounds like where the manual is also showing it should be. just remains to be seen how much of the trim needs to be removed to get there.

kes likes this.
  14. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry for the delay, I had the car in a garage having the parking sensors looked at and they say the parking control module is faulty. Unfortunately they put it all back together and gave me the car back. Has anyone had any experience with these? Should I buy from dealer brand new or try a second hand one from ebay? Most the ones on ebay say they have been tested and come with warranty (take that with a pinch of salt). Do the ones from Civics with Part number 0263004147 fit?
    A link for one on ebay

15. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Assuming they didnt get a part number from the existing module? I am waiting for some decent weather before I take mine apart to have a look. Honda had a quick look while they had it for a service and they say they tested the sensors and they were all working so most likely the module. They quoted somewhere around £200 for the part and labour.

kes likes this.
  16. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No they didn't which is really frustrating, No picture or nothing. Reminds me why I usually fix cars myself.

17. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Every time I've purchased a second hand car part from eBay I've wished I purchased a brand new one.
    With brand new it has to last a reasonable amount of time.

With eBay you stand the chance of rubbish with rubbish customer services

kes and iceman2010 like this.
  18. yanw Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yan Gloucester
    I got the guys who fitted our tow-bar to disconnect the faulty parking sensor on our FR-V.

On the rare occasion I need it I kick the oldest child out to "hold their arms out the distance there is between the car and the thing". I used to ask my wife to do it but she would always stand in the mirror blind spot and then get angry at me.

I think I am just too tight to shell out the money for a new box and too skeptical to buy a second hand one. Also from me reading around the parking sensor fails a lot anyway so knowing my luck it would just go wrong again anyway. The boy works quite well, is voice operated and I have two other children in event he stops working.

kes and SpeedyGee like this.
  19. M_zafar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mobeen London
    It's late in the day for this thread, I've had the same issue and earthed the diagnostic cable which gave me 2 fault codes (an ECU error and one sensor). Try this first as it will reveal the exact route cause.

kes likes this.
  20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    This has happened with my CR-V and you get a constant tone. Honda said it was just corrosion under the paint on the sensor and you could feel the uneven surface. Front left done under warranty. Then the rear centre left which I did myself and now last week the rear centre right which I'm replacing this afternoon.

Honda want over £130 per sensor, but eBay do them at about £25 for genuine Denso ones.