Guides Parking sensors?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Chunkylover53, Wednesday 31st Jul, 2013.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So I was trying to parallel park my car today into a very tight spot, succeeded in doing so which I was pleased about. However when I checked the back I had literally left a few centimeters which scared the living daylight out of me because I assumed I had at least a foot but I didn't reverse further because it was a 5 min stop.

So I looked on ebay for parking sensors and found some relatively cheap. I thought about how I would go about doing the job and it all seemed pretty good to me apart from the wiring onto the reverse wires. I looked at the wires and I didn't understand how I could wire the parking sensors into the reverse wires with the items provided.

Here is the link to the manual for the parking sensors - http://www.aandetrading.com/hid/cisbomanual.pdf

Also, I am planning on calling Holdcroft to get a quick quote on Honda Jazz parking sensors as recommended on another thread for a well priced alternative.

Am I missing something here with the parking sensors or should I just be a bit more careful in the future? - its the sticking out back that really throws me when I think about it!

Sorry for the long thread once again, many thanks all :Smile:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I don't know if the Jazz reversing sensors will fit the 6th Generation bud. need to check if there is sufficient space at the back of the bumper to accept the long sensors then the wiring.

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re Jazz sensors, I will give them a miss then :Frown:

I was going to use this as a guide to some extent
    Parking Sensors - To Aid Reverse Parking

I have looked into ones that work with the cigarette lighter which will be a lot easier to fit, however it was always be on so I'm not sure if that's ideal =/

My last plan is to buy a set of cones which when I think about it, is a better idea.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Can't you just connect the red wire onto the reversing light wire and the yellow wire to the brake light wire as they enter the bulb housing? Or is it accessing the reversing light and brake light wires that's the problem? I'm guessing you may have to cut into the wires and either twist and tape or use some connecting (chocolate type) block?

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm not comfortable cutting/stripping wires at all, had enough bad experiences when making a RC car back in school. I am currently looking at a set that works from the 12v cig lighter, only problem is that it is always on. Maybe I could create a switch?

Otherwise I'll just order a few cones, got a few months till uni anyway :Smile:

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I was having a wee look at various sensors, I think some of them come with the correct connections so that you can disconnect the wire to the light, which then plugs into the new kit and then there's a new wire from the new kit which will plug into the light directly. So there's no cutting, just connecting! Does that make sense? (wine)

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm a lot more comfortable with that method, do you mind pointing me in the direction of those parking sensors that use correct connections?

Many thanks

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think it was in this video, around the four minute mark:

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers for that link, I'm going to have to study this more carefully and work out a plan. I am very comfortable from massive SDS drills to fix things to tiny laptop components and taking everything apart etc but for some reason this project seems beyond me! I will update if I run into any further issues.