General Parts advice for new member

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yoyojojo, Wednesday 4th Apr, 2012.

1. yoyojojo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fixing Sat Nav and I need to determine the make of the DVD ROM unit in my car. I have found someone who will fix it, but only if it's an Alpine. However there are no decerning names or numbers on the front, and I really don't want to pull it all apart, just to find mine is a Panasonic or something, because then I will have pulled it out but have no where to send it - and have to put it straight back.This seems an awful lot of work just to get a make and my manual is no help. So is there some resource I can turn to that will tell me based on my car model/year/VIN number what make my DVD player is? Appreciate any advice

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and Welcome to AOC, the DVD rom drive and units are made by Alpine across the range on the 7thgen . What seems to be the problem with your drive have you seen all the threads here surrounding the troubleshooting and workarounds?

3. yoyojojo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am new to this so I doubt I've seen all the threads, but I seem to match with a common issue. As is posted a few times throughout this site by others with similar issues, my sat nav started acting up on engine start up several months ago. Error reading disk issues. It took longer and longer to work. Then my husband found a website that suggested using a ruler with a cleaning cloth. Needless to say now the unit is worse. I doubt it's just the eye, as the DVD sometimes sounds like it's not even spinning. And now it took forever (and possibly more damage) to get the dvd out. The eject key doesn't always light up.
    The best advice I could find was to send the DVD Rom unit to the Alpine repair company DTronix- so I called them and they confirmed for a fixed price of £179 they will fix it - parts inc, ship it back and guarantee their parts for a year. I am more than happy to pay this, but before I pull it all out, as I mentioned, I need to be sure my model is made by Alpine. because DTronix cannot fix Mitsubishi or Panasonic Honda Sat Navs.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi

Can i ask how have your posted this question to other members via this site? your post count is only two which would suggest have you been using PM or the visitors messages. I would suggest posting your concerns on a thread like will get the most exposure and will get members assisting . If direct your query to a single person and if they are away you will not get a response.

So if I can reassure you if you post your concerns public you WILL get a suitable response

Coming back to your situation please have a look at http://hondakarma.com/threads/696/

these unit are made by Alpine system and you can go directly to Alpine UK for repairs with a cast iron warranty and no third part with no ambiguous "can do this can't to that...versions of sat navs"

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  5. yoyojojo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your reply. This is my first post. I just looked around and did searches for what others have said. I called DTronix (the people who fix Alpine) it was the lady there that had me a bit worried because she said they didnt repair Panasonic or Mitsubishi, and I had no idea if mine was an Alpine. If you say it is, that's good enuff for me. But if I get it out and it isn't I'll be stuck with a disassmebled unit and nowhere to send it, as it seems these are the only people around who are helping people like us out with reasonable repair alternatives. So I didn't post put my whole thread, asI was fairly sure I was going to need to get my sat nav fixed, and I just looking for a way to get specific part info. That seems to be harder to find out than how to fix a sat nav:Messed:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Why don't you ring Alpine UK to get a quote don't use the first company which offers to repair it. You never know they could be cheaper than what you have been quoted.

7. yoyojojo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I called the people at the same address as in the thread you suggested - (I already had seen their details in another thread)
    ALpine Electronics Of UK LTD - When I called they answered the phone as DTronix
    2 Canons Road
    Old Wolverton
    Milton Keyens
    MK12 5TL
    UK

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is interesting indeed ..need to find out if Alpine UK has outsourced the repairs...if you can please pm your VIN number by PM personal message I will confdrim all your deatils for peace of mind. Please DO not post your VIN number on this thread.

I am sure it Alpine but it will give you that peace of mind you are looking for.

9. yoyojojo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When I called the 0845 313 1642.
    number, a lady answered the phone 'DTronix', I asked was this not 'Alpine' - she said they repaired Alpine. I asked for their address as my husband sometimes works in Milton Keynes & it matches the one on the link you sent me... I will get the VN number and PM it to you. I am at work so my husband is getting it for me. I really appreciate all your help.
    Thanks

10. IDTEC Special Partner Club Affiliate

Lee Cheshire
    I believe dtronix are the official repair outlet for alpine, thats where we send our units for repair. They are very good but as with all electrical service repair outlets it takes time. Be prepared to be without your unit for a few weeks. Lee, Holdcroft honda

11. yoyojojo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that Lee.

12. yoyojojo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

errr. I tried to PM you my VIN, however I got a message saying you had exceeded your limit and would have to erase some before I coule PM you again. Too many good deeds. :Grin:

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Do it now just cleared out the box.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Keep us posted how it pans out.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks for clearing that up Lee.