Intake System Passable standing water depth

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Lisbon, Wednesday 23rd Dec, 2015.

1. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

We've had a fair bit of rain recently. No where near as much as Cumbria and I can't imagine what it must be like to have your property flooded for 3rd time in a month. There is standing water on some of the lanes, though, and I'd like to know what the passable depth of standing water is for the new CR-V and whether it differs for diesel and petrol models. Local road flooding is a regular occurrence now and was one of the reasons for choosing a 4WD, albeit a tame one. Having seen many vehicles fail after fool hardy drivers going too fast through water that's too deep, I am cautious, but would like to understand the performance/limitations of my vehicle in this respect.

2. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom BEA London
    The ground clearance is about 6 inches so you are safe up to there. I've never seen an approved wading depth published for a CR-V so it will be interesting if anyone has a figure (or a success story!)

3. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I too would be surprised to see an approved depth, but would hope to pass through water above the ground clearance. Where is the air intake on the 4WD diesel models? It's more the bow wave that can cause the damage.

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

As far as I can see there isn't a 'wading depth' quoted anywhere in the brochure. There may be something in the owners manual though?

5. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sad to say the manual is not helpful image.

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ :lol::lol::lol:

I'd like to say I'm surprised...:Laughing:

To be fair, I wouldn't know how deep standing water is just by looking at it so the advice is sound - if in doubt, just don't do it!

7. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Now what do they consider 'deep' 9.

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    WARNING: Do not attempt
    Although the cars I drove were not as tech heavy as these modern Hondas however the general rule of thumb was, the water shouldn't be higher than either your intake or exhaust tip otherwise you are done. That is not to say I haven't driven in any deeper 'flowing' water. I have driven my Suzuki SS80 plenty of times in water that was headlight deep, but intake was still out of water. If the exhaust does indeed go under water you need to make sure you don't lift off gas otherwise it is going to suck in water and that is going to suck! :Grin: Alas with modern cars you have to go by the book because there is just too many sensors to look after.

9. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The book is part of the problem, it's a real art to produce a driver's handbook running to 666 pages (plus separate Sat Nav manual) that provides such basic, poorly accessible information.

Simes and legend-ary like this.
  10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    True. whoever produced that forgot to consult the marketing or engineering dept. cause why else would engineers design and build a high riding vehicle with Four wheel drive if what they actually want you to do is to 'avoid' anything larger than a puddle. Marketing dept surely didn't get the demo as they bang on about the all weather nature of the CR-V. losers!

What is deep in their dictionary? 2inches? 4inches? 12inches? you would think hmm.. the body is above water, this is not deep but then something happens and they will come and say OH NO that was so damn deep.. out of warranty blah blah...

11. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    On my first gen I took it through about 10in of a stream without an issue, up a few inches past the sills. From what I remember from an off road forum one member was saying about a foot and a half was safe on the first and second gen but didn't mention any newer models or engines other than the b20b or k20 nor do I remember if he had a snorkel. Found this on a Thai CR-V forum. crv.

12. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Many diesels including 4 by 4's rather stupidly (EG BMW X5) have air intake under engine where air is cooler so MPG increased, thus driving through even shallow water too fast & creating a wave can irretrievably damage the engine. A damaging wave can also be created by other drivers. When working in Saudi Arabia circa 1983 I had an Accord EXi coupe automatic company car. After very heavy rain I once followed a jacked up Toyota pick up through a flooded underpass weaving past drowned American cars with their drivers perched on the car roofs. The water came up to near top of bonnet at front & once a piece of woof floated across front of my car but it still kept going. I just let the car trickle through the flood on auto creep with no pressure on the accelerator & that was just the right speed to match the Toyota pick up I was following. Eventually the water came in past the door seals but we made it out the other side. The Accord had a pancake air filter on top of the engine so intake was above flood water level the depth of which could be gauged by how far it came up the side of the drowned American cars.
    Later bailed out the water & for next few days when parked left sunroof open & being Saudi the car soon dried out. Carpets came up nicely after using 1001 carpet cleaner. The car went OK for remaining couple of years I had it so no damage done.
    Nevertheless, I would not take my own petrol cars through any water more than 4 inches deep to ensure no water gets in electrics or inside the car.

legend-ary likes this.
  13. Davec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dave Chippenham
    So despite 11 replies, nobody actually knows?
    Anyone from Honda UK listening?

14. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    As you appear to have the diesel engine maybe dealer can advise where air intake is & if below engine wading depth will be low. If air intake is above engine then do not go through standing water that is above door sill level otherwise water can come inside vehicle. Then need to ensure engine does not stall & risk water getting sucked back up exhaust pipe. There is lots of online advice about how to drive sensibly through water.

15. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know this doesn't add much to the information lack-out but after an interesting mile long trip down a long single track country lane in the dark tonight that finally arrived at a flooded section @&%&%$!!!! I can reluctantly report not being keen to reverse a mile in the conditions and experimentally pressing on veeeery slowly and that the wading depth is at least 6 inches (well over the tyres and onto the alloys). The Exhaust is about 9 inches up btw , Don't know about the air intake and apologies for being more preoccupied with getting through it rather than taking photographs.

I proceeded very slowly and had the drivers window and sometimes door open to keep check on the water level as I went. I should add that your results may vary and I'm in no rush to try again !!! The CR-V is now looking like a tractor

16. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    On Daily Telegraph cars web site the advice is that it is safe to drive carefully though max depth of 6 inches of still water & 4 inches of flowing water in a car.

17. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    If it's over the top of your wellies it's too deep. I'll look under the bonnet later and figure out the air intake route (it's still raining here)

18. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Land Rover make a big deal of publishing the wading figures for their vehicles, with some models having depth indication available on their vehicles' display screen. I suppose it's the difference between a vehicle designed for full off roading and what is colloquially known as a "soft roader".

In fact I am unaware of any 4x4 "soft roader" manufacturer who publicises wading depths.

Keith

19. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Hi all, back again. I've a CR-V I-DTEC 2.2 2015YM . The air intake is in the front L/H wheel well. and is about 12" above the road. So depending on your vehicle load I'd say 9" max.

20. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Something to keep in mind is the speed at which you and others go through the water at 9" it wouldn't take much of a wake to hit the intake. If your chancing your luck often I would look at re-routing the intake or adding a bypass valve, although I've heard mixed reviews as to how well they work. You could always set it up for slightly more aggressive use.
    crv.

legend-ary likes this.