Service & Maintenance Passenger Airbag

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Baggytrousers, Monday 17th Jun, 2013.

1. Baggytrousers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The passenger airbag text above the on and off icons has suddenly started to be illuminated all the time - even when the ignition is off !! The car is only 6 weeks old so I expect its a return to the dealers. Has any one else had this or any ideas on what it might be ? :Unknown:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    On the passenger side see the manual airbag override is not set to off . It should look like this

photo (3).

3. Baggytrousers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Ichiban - the switch is set correctly and the 'on' icon goes out after 60 secs as it should but the text above it 'Passenger Airbag' remains illuminated all the time - even with the ignition off !! It went off (as it should) for a minute or so this morning on a run to the shops but then came back on again and has remained on. Thinks its probably a short somewhere so better contact the dealers I think. Not sure how long it would take to drain the battery.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Take it to the dealer bud they must be a fault with it, please do update us thou would be interesting to know what caused it.

5. Baggytrousers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dealer is picking it up and loaning me another one until it's sorted. I'll post any info I find out about the fault - hopefully it's just a one off

6. Baggytrousers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The 'fault' was in my imagination and was illustrated to me at the dealers. The text was illuminating (correctly) when the auto lights came on - driving under a motorway bridge, passing an HGV and obscuring the natural ight source or dark cloud was sufficient to trigger this so I was left with egg on my face.

Many apologies if I have alarmed anyone !

I took some courage to eat the humble pie and I feel a right divvy !!!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Lol that can be easily done mate not to worry. :Rolf:

8. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Strangely, this happened to me today and it is sunny, not overcast. I have never seen it before so find it odd that it is due to the auto lights illuminating. I was going to contact the dealer tomorrow but will now hold back.

9. Baggytrousers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Robbie - I think the white text is particularly light sensitive. I experimented today as it was really sunny. I drove down a tree lined avenue near my house today and when going from shadow of the trees back into the sun it is like the text being illuminated and switched on and off. My drive is south facing and, with the sun on the dash the text looks as though it is illuminated put it in shadow and it 'appears to be like an on/off light switch.

I was insistent when I went to the dealers that their was a fault but the extremely patient young lady in service showed me the same 'fault' on three different CR-Vs.

I will keep my eye on but I am confident the dealer is correct and I was just being paranoid - it is deceptive though.

Post on the forum if you have any further issues but I ended up feeling a right plonker especially as it was a young lady that explained it all to me (Sorry if that offends anyone of the opposite sex !)

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda could do something in the facelift model to make cluster lights less prominent under these conditions.. BT I wouldn't beat yourself over this it can happen to the best of us.

I have done a few daft things in the past least said the best :telloff:

11. Baggytrousers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Ichiban, your skills as a moderator clearly are matched by your diplomacy - thank you !

I still felt a prat though but if it saves someone else then it's a job well done.!

12. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    The thing is, I have never noticed it before. I came out of a seed merchants, where I had bought a sack of wild bird seed, and parked the car out of the sun. Drove across the road into a bath showroom, in the sun, and never noticed it. Came out about a half hour later, and it was quite clear. It then occurred to me that I had read about a fault on here. I've had the car for six months and never noticed this before. After all of the problems with the towbar, I'll not do anything for the time being.

13. Baggytrousers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've only had mine for 6 weeks and, like you, had noticed this apparent fault before however having experimented as my previous post I am fairly confident that it is not a fault merely a highly reflective text issue that responds, perhaps unnaturally, to sunlight/shadows etc.

I have a Honda towbar/electrics and have had no issues at all - sorry to hear you have had problems !

14. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    The problem I had with the electrics were to do with the connection to pin 9. I have an Alko ATC on my caravan which operates from pin 9, which also serves to charge the battery. The Alko ATC requires at least 20 amps to operate, and Honda supply wiring that takes no more than 15 amps. Consequently, the fuse blew when I connected up the caravan. You can read the saga further down on this forum.

15. Baggytrousers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry to hear about that. I don't tow a caravan - I am renovating my old house hence just tow a trailer for DIY supplies etc. I also use it to support a Thule towbar mounted bike rack. Neither of these require the amperage you are talking about for your caravan - Good luck getting it sorted.