Electrical & Lights Passenger Map Light Not Turning On With Door Open

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by daniel99, Thursday 18th Sep, 2014.

1. daniel99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a rather puzzling problem with my 2004 tourer. The two interior lights near the rear view mirror (electric sunroof model), work when I push them on and off but when I open any door only the driver's side one comes on. Therefore all door switches and the both bulbs are working so I don't understand why the passenger side doesn't work with the doors. This is not a big problem but slightly annoying especially as I don't understand it and that's bugging me.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    So is it just the one door that lights don't come on for ?

If so, then I'd say the switch for that needs looking. The wire may have become disconnected or there maybe some rust or debris causing a poor connection.

The switch is near the door latch, its cover by a rubber boot, remove the rubber boot and you will see a screw, undo the screw and the switch will come out.

Edit: sorry just read your post again, you said issue was on the passenger side ... hmm that's odd. I'd still start by doing the above for both doors.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Think you've still misunderstood him mate, he's talking about the map light on the passenger side which doesn't light up when he opens the doors but works normally otherwise.

It's going to be a dry solder or stretched/broken wire somewhere. I think it's going to be a case of getting to the wiring behind the map light and testing with a voltmeter to find which wire that goes live on the drivers side, isn't doing so on the passenger, then tracing that wire until you find the cause of the dead connection.

EDIT: That said, you might be able to tap the working wire on the drivers side to also work the passengers side. I'm no auto-electrician though.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

:Blushing: read it once again !

Yes you're right, I had got it all wrong.

Passenger side map light not coming on when passenger side doors are opened .. hmm I'd pull the whole light assembly down and see what can be see on the back, do as @DeviateDefiant said above, check the connections coming in.

5. daniel99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, I was thinking the same thing that the whole thing will have to come down. Then out with the multi meter and do some head scratching. If it's just old fashioned wires, switches and connectors, then it should be fixable. But I was hoping there was no "module."

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I don't think there is module, should just be simple circuit, although, somewhere along the line is a time delay circuit for courtesy light.