Off-Topic Patching Up Dog Wounds?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DeviateDefiant, Monday 11th Aug, 2014.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    When I got back up to Liverpool with Rocca on Friday it turned out was coming onto heat so she had to be separated from the boys (as they aren't neutered, yet). The missus just got back from work today and it appears the boys had a big fight, not like them at all but understandable I guess with a bitch on heat. Really didn't want to leave Rocca up there in the same house.

Tyro really did a number on Nero's face (his son):

upload_2014-8-11_20-3-15.

They're all now separated from one another, but how's best to clean up poor Nero's face? Grace has been cleaning out the wounds, but is there anything else which should be done to help him heal up?

When she said a fight, I didn't expect it to be that bad...

2. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Dare I say it - go to the vet dude. Better safe than sorry when it comes to the dogs man.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

We're just discussing that now actually as Grace thinks one of the wounds might need stitches.

4. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    As PeteMM says, better safe than sorry, rather a reasonably small vet bill now than a huge bill if the wound gets infected.

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Agree with Phil and Pete. a trip to the vets.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

We're trying to figure it out now, unfortunately Grace is on 9-5 Mon-Fri at the moment with a new training group. Saturday is a long way away.

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Some vets are open late...aren't they ?

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

She's kinda limited to our normal vet just down the road as I'm not there to drive. There's the possibility of a taxi mind, I'm asking her to look into it now. Trying to get this all sorted before I fly tomorrow.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Oh damn ! Hope he's not been too badly hurt.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

By all accounts he's pretty scared but in good spirits. Tyro's ironically the people/dog lover of the bunch, he's everyone's friend (the one jumping into your car wanting to go for a ride). Introduce a bitch on heat and all hell breaks loose.

11. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's a big problem you will always get one who's the pack leader and what he says goes. Especially with a bitch on heat around. And when they start you won't be able to separate them believe someone who had a similar experience with a jealous German Shepherd bitch and a 6 month old puppy. I she had him round the throat and he was on his last breath, I hit her with anything I could get hold of as I had one hand trying to hold her jaw open, then just out of the blue she let go at the same time the pup took a breath and a bite and his puppy teeth sliced into my hand ripping seven bells out of my skin.
    I ended up in A&E getting stitched up and this is true I had to give them my pups details so they could enter it on the dangerous dog list.
    He ended up with a big cage to sleep in for safety but it took a long long time to even let them in the same room together but never unattended.
    Dogs eh who would have them they come into your life all cute and cuddly, take your heart away,make you there best friend you fall madly in love with them then they die and break your heart.... RIP all my past friends

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah that's indeed what happened here my friend, though Tyro and Nero (the two boys) are generally inseparable, they sleep on each other and follow each other around everywhere. Just how it goes when a bitch is on heat. Nero is more cautious around his Dad now, but they're "friends" again.

Nero, didn't end up going to the vets as Grace said he'd started to heal up well by the next day. I haven't seen him myself and won't be up there till at least the end of the weekend.

As for the Alsatians, slightly similar story. Two of my father's Alsatian bitches got into a scrap in the back garden, my mother came in-between to separate them and the older, Elsa, went straight through the main artery in her arm. It was actually life threatening at the time, but the ambulance was quick and she was stitched up. Still has a nasty scar to this day.

I've been between many fights between my father's Alsatians over the years. Saved one from another by the throat more than once. It's a scary situation because usually the dog is too blinded by the "fight" to recognise their owner. Silly as it sounds, I had a good knack for grabbing the dogs jaw from behind so it couldn't snap (saved a friend with that one too!).

MickyB likes this.
  13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Please to read Nero is on the mend.
    (Didn't pursue the subject as you were somewhat swamped at the time.)

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    To be honest I'd still check with the vet as even though he's healing there could still be infection etc. Usually a course of antibiotics is given just as a precaution, we usually do that with our Beagle as he's always getting into bother but not with dogs, usually with undergrowth etc! lol

15. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I agree Leo you might just want to get him checked out just to be on the safe side.
    Dogs eh who would have them

Me Me Me:Grin: would be lost without one had them around for over Thirty years.

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Thanks guys, I'll be back home late Sunday evening so I can take a look myself and go from there. If the scabs look to be healing cleanly then I'll leave it be, if there's any inflammation, pus, redness etc. I'll definitely get him across to the vets.

I'm a big believer in no drugs and meds unless it's vital.

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm the same, especially when it comes to antibiotics but I think with dogs they do it pretty routine as a precaution against infection. You know yourself, they'd let their leg fall off before telling you they are in pain or something!

MickyB likes this.
  18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah anti-biotics where exactly what I meant, the more you use it, the less effect it has in the future... and the more we all use it, the more resistant various viruses become to it.

Only medication they all get regularly is Panacur/Wormer.

19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aye, I reckon it won't be a nuclear war but some weird and very horrible virus that wipes us all out one day.

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'd put my bets more on a meteor than that, you only need to look at Google Earth to see just how many times we've been smacked.