Off-Topic PC problem won't power up BUT then does

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave, Saturday 14th Sep, 2013.

1. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Guys after a little help here NEC desktop/tower Intel P4 won't power up it's completely dead but then on the odd occasion it comes on and unless you turn it off runs fine.

So far I've removed everything from the motherboard apart from the psu and the same happens, you can press the power button loads of times and then nothing happens. I've also tried without the power button plugged in and just shorted the 2 pins on the m/board but still nothing.

I'm thinking it must be a fault with the m/board as it's currently been booted for the last 3 hours and is fine....

When it does nothing not even the psu fan spins up it's just like the plug is switched off, I've also tried a different power lead.

I was going to try another psu to see if that was the problem but don't have one with the same m/board connector unfortunately.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dave when you say it won't power up and it completely dead was the Tower cold or running prior to this condition..Just need to know was it hot or cold.

How much memory do you have installed on the board , can you give me the Motherboard make and model

hang fire on the PSU theory yet...

Have you taken the CPU heat sink to see there is sufficient thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink? Does the heatsink fan run ?

3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As far as I know it was running fine, just wouldn't turn on one day as it's my dads pc he wouldn't know if it was hot or cold unfortunately.

NEC Powermate_ML360 Intel Pentium D CPU 3.40ghz 2gb ram with 2 x 512's 1 x 1024 (in the correct banks)

Plenty of thermal paste all fans are running fine and there is hardly any dust at all inside it.

M/Board is possibly 945GCT-NM Rev 1.0 15-Q07-01-011002

Bios report CPU Temp 50c System Temp 39c Vcore 1.216v VCC3.3 3.428v VBAT 3.184v CPU fan speed 3068rpm

This is however with the case removed has been running for the last 5-6 hours.

Just used the power button to turn if off and guess what, yup its dead again lol

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Why are you turning off the system from the power button? what wrong with start> shutdown via the operating system :Wink:

Those temp reading are within specs can you run the system one memory module .. P4 the older they get they kick out serious heat so there is a connection why it runs better with the lid off.. :Rolf:

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Plenty of thermal paste isn't necessarily a good thing - I've got a 7yr old Dell P4 which refused to turn on after it had already been on after a while (incl restarts). I removed the thermal paste and use Artic silver and since then it has been perfect.

6. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cos I was in the bios screen lol no start shutdown there.

It won't turn on no more I did try with no memory in it before unplugging the pci cards and everything else.
    Now in the cinema about to watch rush!!!!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Enjoy the movie mate! it could be a memory issue or the front switch is on it last leg..Chunky recommendation of paste is valid too. Older PC do fry their CPU's making the paste not effective.

Get a good bench marking software with logging to an USB stick to see what the logs suggest when its stress tested.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  8. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just bunged everything onto an old laptop for him to use now, he doesn't use it much since getting his Ipad but there are things he can't do on the Ipad so stil needs to pc.

On another note Rush is awesome really really enjoyed it!