Service & Maintenance Pedal rubber wear.

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Quacker, Tuesday 20th May, 2014.

1. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anyone else finding that the clutch and brake pedal rubbers are wearing prematurely?

The first clutch rubber was worn out and needed replacing at the first service. Now approaching the second service, with 23,000 miles on the clock, and both clutch and brake rubbers will need to be changed.
    Before anyone mentions it, no, I'm not heavy on the pedals and do not ride either clutch or brake pedals. Indeed I expect the front brake pads to last a good while yet and the original tyres should last to 25,000 miles. I've had dozens of cars over the years and cannot recall one in the last thirty years that needed new rubbers within 100,000 miles and my Land Cruiser automatic has covered 175,000 mile and its pedal looks almost as good as new.

I believe that worn out pedal rubbers are an MOT fail item. So what's up with Honda fitting these soft quickly wearing parts?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    CR-V pedal rubbers come from a Vietnamese vendor.. No such issues on the Japanese made car as they are sourced from Japan.

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Even the pedal rubbers on my 6th Generation were fine till my studs shredded them

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

can't say I have noticed any degradation at all in my pedals. They still look pristine.

5. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Mine are starting to get the odd hole in them at 115k miles.

Might be time for a change soon.

However,

Are you serious? 25k miles from a set of tyres

Are they made from lego? I don't think I have ever had more than 12-15k from a full set including rotation. Lowest I have had was about 2k from a full set of Parada Spec 2's on my old DC2

6. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The 25,000 miles is a massive improvement on the 10,000 per set I got from the Q7 on quality tyres or the 18,000 miles it managed on noisy cheap Taiwanese tyres.
    They have not been rotated despite my good intensions, and the result is that the front are less than a mm from the wear bars while the backs have maybe 15% left.
    I managed 35,000 mile on a set of four Good Year on a 3rd Generation Range Rover, so although I drive fast, I drive steadily with the minimum use of brakes and gearbox. Indeed this Honda does a lot of long journeys that don't require much gear changing for many many miles. When I do change gear I am in the habit of skipping gears when appropriate, so the pedal rubbers really should not show any real sign of wear at this stage.

I know it is a minor issue, but I was just wondering, while knowing full-well the answer, whether anyone else had their rubbers worn prematurely. The dealer tried to charge me for the clutch rubber at the first service, it being a 'wearing or service item'. I soon put him right on that one and told him what I thought of his acceptable service life, the car being barely seven months old at that stage.

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've done about 14k in my one year old CR-V. The tyres have barely worn down. I'd say 25k is more than achievable. As a side note, on my old Vectra, I managed to get 17k on a set of four Goodyear Eagle F1-GSD3 tyres. :Niceone:

Quacker - If I were you, ask them to change the pedal rubbers again. End of the day, they should not be degrading like this. :Niceone:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup as per the warranty claim the poor quality will be picked up when the faulty part is returned back to Honda. They will follow it up with the vendor. This also goes for all retail customers if you buy a part which is not to the highest Honda quality make sure you ask the part department to raise the "Poor Product Claim Form"

9. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Original Michelin tyres to be changed early next week at 27500 miles. They are still legal and probably would just about manage 30,000 at the front and maybe 35,000 at the back if I was so inclined as to push the limit. New Michelins in stock and ready to fit. Price unknown as I haven't asked.

Dealer declined to change pedal rubbers under warranty. That's up to them and one reason I did not source new tyres from them and will not have brake pads and wiper blades or anything 'extra' from them in future. I'm not bothered to support them if they don't support me.

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd escalate to Honda UK.

The car is under warranty - I can't see why they'd decline - its not like you're asking for a new engine or new suspension etc. Pretty abominable behaviour on their part.

11. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah I agree with TDK - genuine pedal rubbers are roughly a tenner each on the bay so it'll be no doubt cheaper for the dealership. If you don't feel like dealing with HUK, just order the brake pads and tyres you need and ask about the rubbers again. If they don't budge, just say cancel the whole order and watch them change their tune!

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Pedal rubbers shouldn't need changing already. My 10 year old Accord still has the originals, with plenty of tread left.
    Agree with TDK. A call to HUK is in order.

13. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Of course they shouldn't need changing. The clutch pedal rubber needs changing for the second time in 27,000 miles, being completely worn through. I have had other vehicles with less wear on the pedal rubbers at 150,000 miles.
    However it is no big deal for me, although it is a bigger deal for the dealer concerned than they realise. I don't generally even ask the price of things like tyres, brake pads, starters and other fast movers, just order them and tell a dealer to fit them. I have other dealers that will be pleased to see me. It really is no inconvenience or loss to me that I shall source all this from a non-franchise source.
    Escalate to Honda? I don't think so. I'm fairly sure that Honda don't want to know about such minutiae. These particular parts only cost HondaUK pennies and only a few Pounds at most to the dealer. I wonder how much margin they would have made from four tyres and in future from other expensive wearing parts and consumables? Not my problem though. They can run their business as they wish and the people behind the counter most probably couldn't give a rat's arse anyway whether I return and spend or not.

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I agree with you that the cost is minimal and it is entirely up to you what you want to do.
    However, for me, as a matter of principal, I would want HUK to know of the issue and for them replaced at the next service.
    Honda do not want unhappy or disgruntled customers. I am sure they will authorised replacement.
    Additionally, and more importantly, if there is a batch of substandard rubbers, it is the sort of thing they would change on all the cars affected.
    They would not want anyone to have an accident in a car still under warranty, due to a lack of grip on the pedals.
    Whilst I appreciate you will have yours changed it is something others may not notice.

15. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

They'll notice it if they look down, if only because the metal shows through as if its gone twice around the clock.

I'll get pedal rubbers from motor factors at trade price, no problem. As you say, it is a matter of principle, but having been in a related industry retailing industrial machinery for many years, I really don't think that anyone will really want to be bothered with this issue.

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Happy you'll be safe. :Niceone:
    A CR-V is on my list as a possible replacement for my Accord.
    I will be keeping a keen eye on the pedals if I do get one.

17. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When I asked the service manager on the phone to have a look at them and possibly replace both under warranty, the clutch one for a second time, I had a lecture off him that I could not possibly expect that and, sarcastically, alluding that I would expect new ones every few thousand miles for the life of the car.
    With an attitude like that, I shan't be bothering the dealer again apart from for the prepaid services and when I really have to.

Don't think that I am unduly bothered by this. I'm not. It is purely their loss, not mine. It won't stop me considering another Honda from the same dealer either. From many many year's experience buying and running dozens of cars, I have very low expectations of main dealers. I am surprised and delighted when on the odd occasion they come good.

This is a tiny issue in the grand scheme of things, but one that influences the way I do business with them. As I said, if they take that attitude with me on a legitimate issue, then I shall reciprocate.
    The sales staff are very helpful actually and try to look after the business. They suggested that as they were now also Nissan dealers at another branch, that I should get my Juke serviced by them. When I enquired with the same service manager to arrange this, he refused point blank, saying that the pre-paid service contract was with the supplying dealer, even when the sales staff had said that it was with Nissan and their service records would sort that out, no problem. Needless to say I went elsewhere, 50 miles away to another Nissan dealer to get it serviced.

18. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As it happens I am taking the Juke in to the original supplying dealer next Wednesday with a view to possibly changing it for a new model Qashqai. I did originally think of changing it for a lower trim level 1.6Diesel CR-V but I've strangely gone off the idea somewhat recently, despite being very happy with the one I've got
    It's not due to the pedal rubbers as such, but the attitude of the service manager and his condescending manner. I'm not inclined to give him a third [or is it fourth] chance.