General Pedal Vibration

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by charlespayne, Thursday 9th Oct, 2014.

1. charlespayne Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

charles
    Hi finaly taxed my car today, so driving it home, some reason when car is moveing the pedels are slightly vibrating when i push the clutch and brake when car is driving, but when still you feel nothing.

2. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    There is a possibility that you may have a warped disc which is causing this, as it pushed the calliper piston slightly in and out this forces the fluid back to the master cylinder which may be felt through the brake pedal? You get this a lot on motorbikes.

3. charlespayne Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

charles
    Ill take wheels off and spin them till i see the one that seems wobbly.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The discs did look quite rusted, I would drive it for a week or two, do some prolonged sharp braking, see how it is after that.

Bones126 likes this.
  5. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Best way to check is if you can't or don't want to take the discs off and lay it on a flat surface is to get a fix marker against the disc and then slowly turn the disc to see if it's running true. You'll see the gap between the disc and maker increase or decrease if it's warped.

But as SpeedyGee suggests, if the discs were really rusted then this could also be causing it. running them a few days will clean them up, if you still get the problem then check for a warpped disc.

6. charlespayne Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

charles
    today is 1st time been driven for a few months.

7. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hopefully just dirty discs then, run it a few days and clean them up and see how it feels then. Discs usually warp through getting over heated, so if they wasn't warped before you laid the car up they shouldn't be warped now really.
    Having said that, they may have been warped before but because you were using the car regularly (if you was) you may not have noticed and been used to it as it gradually deteriorated.
    fingers crossed it disappears over the next couple of days

8. charlespayne Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

charles
    I only bought it last week, and i picked it up today as i got tax on it.

9. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Argh, nice. Always good to have a new car, nice one.

10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As above, sounds like a symptom of warped or damaged discs. Check the state of all of the discs if you can. i found that the rear discs on mine where in a shocking state, they also produced judder through the brake pedal, not something that is pleasant and I've only ever experienced on one other car with an egg shaped brake drum. The other thing I would check is that the rear calipers are functioning properly and move correctly on the slider pins. They tend to get neglected and seize up so that the rear brakes do not work properly, check the inside of the disc as the outside might look fine, but the inside is rusted to hell with chunks missing.

20140628_171921_zpsadfe1f20.
    20140628_171906_zps37baea7e.

This is how bad mine where. The caliper in the background was completely knackered, it was seized solid and the slider pins where not better, ideally it needs new ones!

11. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    wow - those discs are knackered. They must have shuddered like mad when they got warmed up.

12. charlespayne Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

charles
    How much is a new set of disk and calipers.
    - - - Updated - - -
    As im not trusting sites like ebay, as i know about the dodgy disk on sale that break.

13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Nighthawk, they sure where mate, though they weren't too bad under braking, they vibrated abit, but i think that was only down to the fact that both caliper slides where seized and one caliper was dead.

@charlespayne I wouldn't worry about calipers yet mate, not untill you check it all out. New Pagid discs and Pagid pads cost me about £65 from Eurocarparts, fitted them myself and I got a working caliper from the scrap yard for £10
    This being the end result :Smile:
    20140629_111813_zps44bb785f.

14. Nighthawk Guest

I use ferodo premium pads and discs. Discs and pads for my gen 7 is around 150 quid for front and rear discs and pads.

Strip yr calipers and take a good look at them first. Calipers are quite easy to overhaul unless they are badly pitted inside the chambers.

15. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If it looks anything like this one, then its junk. its supposed to have a dust cover that keeps dirt out and the piston from rusting up.
    20140628_171930_zps821c166c.
    This one was so seized up that even the special caliper rewind tool you need ( Lazer caliper rewind tool £20 from Screwfix) could not wind it back in,

16. charlespayne Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

charles
    Looks like a dog chewed it up and spat it back out.

Harvey likes this.
  17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Think it did more than chew it.

18. Nighthawk Guest

That caliper is completely destroyed - hopefully yours will be looking healthier

19. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It had been like that for at least 1 year, as it was mentioned on an MOT from 2 years ago that there was brake binding.

@charlespayne I will suggest this mate, go on the DVLA website and get an MOT History check, it will list every MOT that your car has had every since the system went electronic or your car was 3 years old, whichever came first. That way you can sort of judge how well your car has been looked after and what repairs may have been carried out and can cross reference it to any paper receipts and MOT slips you have etc.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  20. Nighthawk Guest