FR-V Penetrating oil Recomendation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bones126, Saturday 12th Sep, 2015.

1. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hi, looking for recommendations for penetrating oil. Such as plus gas etc, what do you guys use that does the job On old rusted nuts and bolts?

Cheers
    Dave

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dave for me it has to be Silkolene Silkopen aerosol graphite penetrating spray. Get's the bolts lose and the graphite provided lubrication to aid removal and future lube.It is better than copper slip. Use too much this does make a mess with black trails. A little is a lot with this spray.

SIL.JPG

Bones126 likes this.
  3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Bones126 and Ichiban like this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    At that price worth a punt I will get a can of that bad boy.

Bones126 likes this.
  5. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Nice one guys thanks, will get both I think, as you say depends on why you're using it for.
    I need it for a stubborn suspension strut bolt, tried a while back to remove it but couldn't crack it.
    I have some lowering springs (30mm) and some camber arms to fit soon and want to start the process to free them up.

Cheers guys.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Get a massive breaker bar than a scaffold pipe for leverage or invest in pneumatic tools mate. No matter what penetrating fluid you use you can't beat torque.

Bones126 likes this.
  7. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Yep, agreed. Have a breaker bar and I'm sure I can find a bit of tube from somewhere.
    Cheers

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I use the top end of my arcan jack lift pole it can be detached and increase the length.

AJ.

Bones126 likes this.
  9. demian New Member Getting Started

Depending on where the offending bolt is located, you should get a friend to press your socket wrench/spanner tightly against the bolt from the top so that your tool doesn't lift up, slip and round the bolt when you're trying to open it. A short crow bar is the ideal tool, you can wedge it between suspension arms so that when your friend pulls it it presses on the spanner/socket wrench. Then use a heavy rubber hammer to tap on the spanner/socket wrench. Works like a charm.

Bones126 likes this.
  10. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I also find using a single brace socket helps, but yeah. Holding the socket on will help.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Ichiban likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I got the same jack but I hate using the extension bar for leverage (incase I damage it), so I've found myself a piece of scaffold bar.

Nels likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I prefer if I damage a bolt to get the sodding thing out, clean the threads or tap it and get a fresh bolt.

A royal PIA but its done then.