Engine & Gearbox Performance Limited While "Running In"

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Wombat, Tuesday 27th Sep, 2016.

1. Wombat Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Both my (petrol) CR-V and my (petrol) Jazz seemed to be more lively once the odometer had passed a reading of some 5,000 km.
    Is the reason for this:
    1) The engine spinning more freely after "running in"?
    2) A setting in the engine management computer which restricts performance during "running in"?
    3) My erroneous perception caused by the joy of owning a Honda?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes I have felt it on all Honda products more so on motorcycles engine as you can feel the engine more intensely. Honda fill the engine oil with a high concentration of organic molybdenum this is adsorbed by metal friction surface and it leads to create a strong lubricant film to reduce frictional resistance. Now the MODTC aka organic molybdenum has embeds itself in your engine at all the critical areas this will remain there for a long time.

If you read your handbook Honda quite clearly states don't replace the engine oil before its first service. I however change it around & 7K mark on cars and 600 miles on a bike, but Honda never explained to customers why.. well now you know.

Some people love Moly oils that why they use Mugen Infinity engine oil VT-α-5W-40 oil. If anyone is rebuilding their Honda engines it is worth getting in special engine running oils with a high concentration of MODTC.

Jassy, FirstHonda, Wombat and 2 others like this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just found a pure shot of MOS2 for people who want to run moly in their engines. The entire field of Moto2 motorcycle which use the Honda CBR600RR engine are running on Liqui moly 10w-40 with a high concentration of MOS2

s-l1600.