Engine & Gearbox Performance of 2.4 EXi

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by tomwillie, Thursday 7th Aug, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Under the rust in sunroof post you @LordOxygen has queried the 201 BHP of his car in relation to lack of acceleration in 4th & 5th gears.

The BHP of a car if correctly geared determines maximum speed whereas torque determines acceleration: What does Torque in a Car do? – Starts With A Bang

The handbook for my 09 reg. 2.4EXi quotes max speed in 5th as 140mph. The brochure quotes: 0 to 62 mph as 7.8 sec. Max. Torque 230 N.m @ 4200 RPM and Max power 201 PS at 7000 RPM. Thus for max acceleration need to drop to gear which gives about 4200 RPM. I find third gear best on two lane roads for which max rated speed in handbook is 85mph ie well in excess of speed limit.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    VTEC, a high revving naturally aspirated petrol engine with variable cams - power and performance on the high cam, economy and cruising on the low cam. Rev it for high power, the engines are designed for just that. The CU2 is phenomenal in the upper band by all accounts, even more so than the CL9.

3. LordOxygen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I understand the principles, my comment wasn't really a criticism of the car and the engine as such, it's a VTEC, it is what it is and 4th is OK. It's 5th and certainly 6th gear that make M'way driving a chore having to change up and down.
    I've concluded I simply don't like it for M'way driving, it totally lacks in gear shove, I can't say I enjoy having to drop 2 gears to accelerate. (Lesson learnt for next time, be sure to test drive on the motorway)

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Have a think about the alternatives, if you had higher cam lift at low revs, you'd have a ton of torque but economy would suffer greatly. The duality of the K24 is honestly my favourite aspect. She's either whisper quiet and elegant, or a roaring savage beast with a WOT. For a large N/A petrol engine, it's about as good as it gets while maintaining economy.

I understand your point, but for low rev grunt it's a turbo diesel you really want, and you don't hear me saying that one often :lol:

5. LordOxygen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This is the first big Honda I've had, it's fun off the mark in 1st and 2nd and yes the engine makes a lot of noise when accelerating hard up to the limiter. It's quite a unique car I suppose, I can't think of any other big saloons with this sort of power delivery.
    I just can't help feeling it's not right - a big comfortable cruiser that's harder work than it should be to drive on the M'way.
    After 2000 miles I'm convinced forced induction petrol :Wink: engines are where it's at. (the VAG 2L TFSI ticks the box for me) What ever, i'll shut up now, this is a honda forum and my view is probably counter to more of less everyone else.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

The thing is of course, downshift at those motorway speeds and you will fly just like in 1st and 2nd :Smile:

Honda's next generation of petrol engines are VTEC Turbo, coming in 1.0L, 1.5L and 2.0L flavours. The largest of which producing in excess of 320hp. K24s themselves have been taken to over 800hp with turbos.

As for VAG, unreliability aside, my K24 even stock eats most of the 2L Turbos with ease. Some variations will have me though, like the S3 Quattro. That'll change soon though :Smile:

7. LordOxygen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

LOL, most 2L turbo cars these days produce the same if not more power than my K24. Quite how yours eats most 2L turbo cars is beyond me.

8. LordOxygen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is yours modified?

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Most of the 2L Turbos from VAG are around 200hp, and even some of the ones slightly higher still have a lower 0-60. With the long gears on the K24 paired with VTEC, they cannot keep up at high speed when I'm downshifting and using the high revving powerband.

Naturally the more powerful 2L win, my Torque app reckons mine's putting out 218hp.

No digs, but I do wonder how you're driving yours :Tongue:

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yes, though only an intake and reflashed. That's happened within the past week so haven't been on the motorway with the improvements yet :Smile:

11. LordOxygen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

LOL I'm having to bang it into the red like everyone else trying to get one moving.

0-60 times give little indication of how a car will drive. But to play top trumps with you, VRS Octavia 2Lt. 0-60 7sec dead - 150mph max. my k24 can't keep up with that.

12. LordOxygen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anyway as much fun as this has been, i'll stick to my view it's not very good on the motorway, It's the only big saloon I've driven that needs to drop at least 2 gears and make a load of noise to over take a middle lane hogger without causing 3rd land traffic to brake.

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I struggle to believe your K24 could be performing that badly. They're nothing amazing below 4000rpm, but they're no slouch. It's often said the CU2 is way faster top end than my CL9, that makes it even harder to swallow. As for the dropping gears, you need to if you're at low RPM on any VTEC engine, drive the car like it was designed :Tongue:

You can't play top trumps with VAG, those 2.0L Turbos have so many documented issues it's unreal. Especially anything VAG DSG. As you say, you'll find little love for them on this board.

I get your point, you want to stick your foot down and always have power, it's annoying you that you can't. But the rest of us K24s downshift and eat Braverian wagons all the time :newrussian:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Eh two gear drop, get revs up shift down release clutch and fire away. Where you a diesel driver before this looking for torque?

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I need to do a school day for 2.4 8th Generation owners, this car is rapid you just need how to extract it. Flooring the throttle to the floor doesn't cut it. If you expect rapid acceleration think again. I recall at HH I was driving a fully laden car with 5 and Zoran was with me ask him when he pops back form his holidays how rapid the 8th Generation was.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How to achieve fast times in your 2.4 improve your shifting. So when shifting up . Throttle off >Clutch in> change up> clutch out> throttle open . I have so many of us still hanging on to the clutch after changing up . Practice the above slowly then your speed will come you will never get jerky or high speed jerking :Smile:

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The 8th Generation is jerky at high speed gear changes you have to wait for the flywheel to get the rotational forces drop for a few seconds before full power.

Last edited: Thursday 7th Aug, 2014
  18. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    I have no problems on motorways keeping up in outside lane, just leave good safe 2 sec. gap (4 in wet) then plenty of time to do down change/s to keep up. Leaving a safe gap also helps reduce frequency of gear changes required.

Disadvantage of VAG turbo engines is they suffer many reliability problems, Warranty Direct reported 25% engine failure rate for the Audi's they insure. Also read Honest Johns "What's Bad" on various VAG cars.

Turbo diesel cars in particular have expensive problems with: DPF, EGR valves, Turbos, DMF etc; my son in law had £4000 bill to replace diesel fuel pump on 55 reg Audi A6 All Road @ 55k miles.

My Honda 2.4EXi is turbine smooth to drive, gear change is like a little switch to use so no problem when down changes required. Best family car I have owned.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  19. LordOxygen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lol, from what I've read you're all confirming its not a good car on the motorway. The engine by design is gutless at low revs.

All the forced induction petrol cars I've driven are smoother and more rapid on the m'way, delivering power at lower engine revs means no silly downshifting and shouty revs, just an instant shove.

Having a k24 was an itch I wanted to scratch. Its fun to drive and well geared to keep you in the VTEC when pushing on. For motorway driving however ill take turbo petrol everytime.
    Sorry.

20. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Having briefly had a Golf GTi as a company car several years ago I fully understand your opinion but the Golf developed a turbo whistle shortly before lease ended.

Hopefully when Honda introduce turbo induction petrol engines they will be as reliable as their NA engines.

LordOxygen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.