Accord/7th Gen Performance upgrade

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by rinesh, Sunday 10th Apr, 2016.

1. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys,
    I am planning to do some performance related mods to my CL9 this summer. I have a budget of around €1000.
    Mind that I am only interested in hardware mods, so no ECU related tuning (for now).
    1 thing for sure, I am interested in a Injen or K&N CAI. Which one would give better performance and what other upgrades can you guys recommend for this budget?
    74OMC0DDh_9cKrYN0oUtfsbGHfXHeTRnbm-K9aP8MHsDpVRBIXXqCPVKnrkv0clirp88Q4Im7g4j=w1100-h932-no.

2. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    You're starting wrong, you should address the ECU tuning first and then add bits to maximize the gain.
    So for that budget you should go for an ECU reflash and a pair of good exhaust headers, you'll be very happy with the results.
    The intake alone will give you no gain, just noise and placebo :Smile:

3. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@dinoc But I read somewhere that gains of aprox 5-10 HP is possible with the Injen or K&N CAI.
    Also I thought hardware mods first and then ECU Remap (Custom), because then you can tune the car with the mods you made for the best results. ECU remap is not included in the €1000 budget.

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  4. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    It depends on your goal, and how further do you want to go.

Do you want to go far away and swap cams, or use force induction? Then yes you will need custom tuning like FlashPro and a TSX ECU (only these 2 will cost more than 1000 EUR, and to this you need to add costs for custom tuning and of course the hardware parts, so you will need a big wallet :Smile: ).

If you want to go just with intake, headers, exhaust than an ECU reflash is enough it can handle all these mods, no matter what combination, case on which you should start modding with the ECU first, which will give you the best gain for your buck, and add the others when the budget allow. In 1000 I think you can squeeze an ECU reflash and some good headers and the gain will be awesome.
    You can add later intake or exhaust.
    (An intake alone will give you very little gain hard to notice, you will loose some HP on the lower RPM range and gain some little at the top).

To me if I had to start over, these will be my first 3 favorite power mods:
    - ECU reflash
    - good headers
    - gearbox gearing (either EP3 gears or at least a final drive)

These will give you lots of power in a "silent" way (OEM like noises level) so when overtaking other cars on the road you won't look like you are trying hard (like you will with a loud intake/exhaust :Smile: ).

Last edited: Sunday 10th Apr, 2016
    rinesh and K24 CL9 GUY like this.
  5. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@dinoc: Are there any headers you can recommend?
    Honestly I am not planning to swap cams or use force induction. My goal is to get somewhere in the 220-240 HP range.
    A few issues i would like to address (personal view):
    VTEC engagement @ 6K, and at at around 7200 the party is over...
    Throttle response: I feel that after a quick shift from first to second, you don't get all the available torque, but to safe the clutch honda has limited the torque for a moment
    Maybe a quick shifter (The mugen one?)

Is it realistic to talk about approx 220-240 HP with a €1000 budget?

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    there are a few CL9s here that are running substantial mods so might be worth reading their project logs before deciding what you want
    have a look at garage entries from @DeviateDefiant @SpeedyGee & @K24 CL9 GUY

rinesh and K24 CL9 GUY like this.
  7. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    Hi @rinesh

220-240bhp is certainly not achievable with just a €1000 no but what @dinoc is saying is right that with that budget your best option is to go for @littlebo ECU reflash and a decent header which I personally went for a WeaponR but just do some research and see what is best for you. I started with a custom exhaust then the header followed by the K&N Typhoon until I had my reflash done and were all nice little mods but were truly brought to life once had the reflash as gave me better throttle response, higher rev range and best of all 2000rpms worth of extra VTEC :Smile:

rinesh and dinoc like this.
  8. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    You can go for litllebo ECU reflash and he sells good headers also, so maybe both might fit in your budget or close.

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  9. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

I was thinking the same :Niceone:

dinoc likes this.
  10. sawf1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Poole
    Hi @rinesh,

I think given your goals the best option would be a littlebo reflash and less restrictive exhaust headers which he also does as well.

As a user of his reflash I find it makes even an otherwise stock car like mine feel so much better both at low revs in town etc and further up the rev range due to the lowered VTEC kick in point. If you look at the dyno sheets on his website (k24 reflash you'll see how much you would gain throughout the rev range for about the same cost as a CAI.

rinesh, dinoc and K24 CL9 GUY like this.
  11. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the info guys. On 22 may there is a big Honda event here in Holland (Hondafest), I will be there, so hope to speak with some CL9 owners and tuners, for inspiration, and who knows maybe some hondakarma members...
    Also thinking about increasing the budget to €1500, so CAI, Header and reflash should be possible I think... Hopefully that will take me gains more noticeable.

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  12. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Now we're talking all three combined will be an amazing difference for you :Smile: I went for the K&N Typhoon as closely follows the bore size of the throttle body and gets good reviews :Niceone:

rinesh likes this.
  13. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  15. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yes it looks like it.

rinesh likes this.
  17. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    But it won't give you any performance gain, zero HP/tq :Smile:

18. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@dinoc I assume your talking about the shifter...
    Correct, it will not give any performance gain, but the problem I find now, it that the trows are very long. So that problem should be addressed with it.
    Unfortunately the seller can't say if it is compatible with my CL9. He said that it is for the CL7 Euro R models...
    Anyone who can confirm or rectify this. Part Num: 54000-XKB-K0S0

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It will fit the CL9 car without issues.

rinesh likes this.
  20. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Ichiban: Thanks for the conformation. Will order it today. Any headers you can recommend? I don't see many options while searching...