General Permanent Live Dash Cam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chunkylover53, Saturday 28th Jun, 2014.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Some useless sod hit my car whilst parked last night. Slight body damage which I'm going to have to ignore and a smashed wing mirror which I have to replace ASAP... anyway I figured that if I had a dashcam then at least I would get his reg and confront the owner.

Anyway I have been considering a dash cam for a while now but I was going to connect it to the cig lighter which wouldn't have been of any use so now I want to make it live permanently. How would I go about doing so?

With the active sub I remember running a red wire through to the battery with an inline fuse... would it be the same with the camera?

I plan on getting a Mini 0801 after seeing @Eltax91 write up and a video review which states that the camera uses very little power. Either way I don't plan on leaving the car undriven for more than a few days at a time.

EDIT: I would need this I believe?Car Camera Hardwire Kit - Mini USB

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Forgot to mention, I'm terrible at soldering. Burned myself many times with those weak school ones so I don't want to mess around with a proper one haha. Would prefer a fit or crimp (if its a must) solution.

My other idea would be to get those portable battery packs to charge mobiles that is linked to the camera and cig lighter which charges it as I drive. Not sure if it'll charge whilst providing power when the car is on though?

3. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Can't help you with the electrics mate, sorry.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your car.

One of the main reasons I bought a shed was to save me the worry of car park twats.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Wasn't even a car park, it was a quiet residential road. Methinks a drink driver scraped past last night..

5. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
  6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm already baulking at the price of the camera itself so I'm going to give the power magic pro a miss for now.

The cig lighter is a good idea but does it connect straight to the battery? If so I noticed that neg and positive are going to the same end terminal so what's up with that?

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Right so this is my plan now:

Purchase car hardwire kit Car Hard Wire Kit for Mini 0801 Dash Camera Dashcam (Mini USB) | eBay

USB end goes to the camera, the other end has positive + negative wires. I will connect the positive to a mini fuse tap ADD A CIRCUIT - FUSE TAP - PIGGYBACK -EXTRAFUSE- MINI BLADE TYPE | eBay

Crimp the positive wire to the blue thing and add a 5amp fuse along with the original fuse on the fuse tap. For permanent live I will use the clock fuse from the passenger side. The hardwire kit has a Low voltage parameter protection so it will not run down the battery... bit like powermagic pro.

Then I have to ground the negative wire... need to find a grounding point for that.

Hopefully that is all correct?

Already purchased the camera, hopefully somebody who, unlike me, is confident in electronic wiring and the like can confirm that the above plan is sound.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sorry to hear of the damage mate. Some right sods out there.

You plan for wiring all sounds fine. Have a look at Eltax91s thread, you could use the same earth point.

Ichiban and Chunkylover53 like this.
  9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Quick update - I've got the dashcam all set up and working perfectly. For footage and installation steps take a look at my DIY (click on mini 0801 on my signature)

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Did you not use any battery protect in the end like that power magic pro?

11. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The power pack used cuts off power supply to the dash cam if the battery voltage drops below 11.8v so the car will always start.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I tried one of those non-Power Magic Pro ones initially and found it unreliable so bit the bullet and got a genuine one. Had a lingering fear that it would end up going on fire also! lol

Hopefully yours works out ok though :Smile:

13. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fire?!? Due to faulty transformer?

Also in what way was your old one unreliable?

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Would switch itself off, wouldn't switch modes when engine turned off etc.

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fair enough, fortunately my set isn't displaying any of these symptoms. That said I just let my camera loop and watch the clips locked due to the g sensor being activated every week or so.

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Are you using motion activation all the time?

17. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nah I'm recording 24/7 - tried motion detection but it starts too late so the reg plates are missed. I get around 8hrs but I figured that any collision would set off the g-sensor which is saved permanently.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cool, motion sensor on that camera is pain with the manual set so I'm the same and leave it on all the time. It only draws a tiny current so should be ok.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry to hear about the damage dude lets see it .I know I need a dash cam on my car but finding time is difficult. Anyone willing to give me a hand LOL

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'll do cam for you if you do a brake fluid flush for me :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.