Engine & Gearbox Petrol - Engine oil filter location and viewing

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hondream, Sunday 11th May, 2014.

1. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Hi
    This may seem a bit obvious.
    Where exactly is the engine oil filter located on the 2.4 petrol engine (facelift)?
    Any one have a diagram of the engine and the location of the oil filter?

Also, if I want see which oil filter (i.e. a Honda OEM or a 3rd party) they have used, can I see the oil filter from the top with the bonnet open, or do I have to crawl under the car or take a wheel off?

Thanks

2. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi there just search under the prefix for The DIY for oil change you will find your info . As for filters that Honda filters are the preferred type as they are superior to aftermarket ones.

3. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Hi. Have already done that, still non the wiser on the various points raised.
    Thanks

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

This may help with your request...

Guides - 7th Generation petrol oil change • Honda Karma

2.4 oil filter.

If you look at the pictures posted by SayamaAccord, 17-22 show the filter.
    This is underneath, on the back of the engine block.
    The engine guard needs removing first, to see and access the sump plug & filter.

If you are going to do this yourself, please ensure you use suitable axle stands for your safety. :Hey:

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    As Nels said, if you lay under the car. the filter will be on the back of the engine towards the offside of the car.

6. syzsounds Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I managed to change the filter going in from the top on the passenger side ... Bit tight but doable.
    I used an aftermarket filter as im doing another change at about a 1000 miles, The oil that came out the first time didnt warrant using a Honda filter.

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That must have been difficult, but good to read of your success. :GoodJob:

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You can take the filter off from the top, as long as the filter hasn't been put on real tight.

9. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Thanks for the replies guys.

So, if I have the bonnet open, and I'm looking down at the engine,
    would i be able to see the oil filter from the top, and would i be able to tell if it is a Honda filter or a third party one?

Also, if i'm facing the front of the car, how far is the oil filter from the oil sump drain plug?
    X and Y dimensions from oil drain plug will do.

Thanks

PS - i've changed the oil filters on 2 Jap cars (not Honda), and they always have the filters at the back (most awkward of places), but just about doable from the top.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Yes you'll be able to see it from the top, behind the head on the left hand side next to the exhaust header. View from the top:

oil-filter-removal-top-accord.

Telling whether it's an aftermarket one might be easy, an OEM one will be blue - though some aftermarket ones are also. If it's black, it's aftermarket for sure. If I had to approximate the difference going from the front, I'd say the filter is 40cm higher and 20cm to the left, it's also a tiny bit further back.

As @SpeedyGee said you can get at them from the top like my photo, but if it's been overtightened you might struggle getting enough torque on the wrench to loosen it.

hondream likes this.
  11. Richardp2020 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Uk
    It's a pain to get through, easiest way for me was taking the front right wheel off and using a removal tool I bought off ebay for 2.50 :Smile: Makes a massive difference using the right kit.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Could you post a link or picture of the ebay tool you refer to above please.

13. Richardp2020 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Uk
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ah right yes, that type is very good, grips the the filter good and proper.

I'm pasting a pic of it here as ebay listing disappear after sometime.
    $T2eC16V,!ysE9sy0iO3nBRW-dmEPRQ~~60_12.JPG

15. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    SpeedyGee.....how many flats/flutes has that got?
    Thanks

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

14 flutes.

17. Richardp2020 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Uk
    It was only 2.50 when I bought it less than a year ago and now a bit more, but having changed the oil filter twice once with and once without that tool, It's the best 2.50 I've spent, easily worth the 4.99.

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I've got the exact same tool as well, cannot fault it in the slightest - well, it sometimes gets stuck on the filter, but nothing a good bang doesn't sort out :Smile:

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Always great to have a good bang :Tongue::Wink::Grin:

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

As long as you're aware the bang is going to take place, and it doesn't catch you off-guard - otherwise a bang can really startle you out of the blue.