Engine & Gearbox Petrol Engine Options 2.0 vs 1.8

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by qc2, Saturday 13th Feb, 2016.

1. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    Hi All,

Taking a good look at FR-Vs now... After a few months of toying with a Mercedes CLK I'm realising that my Honda soul feels somewhat uncomfortable with my current car situation. Plan is to move the CLK on, get an FR-V for my wife to use daily and I can get back to using my CL9 daily which I so sorely miss.

Anyone have first hand experience of both the 2.0 and 1.8 engines? Economy isn't particularly an issue as either would offer improved MPG over the auto CL9 of mine she's driving at the moment. I'm keen on the 2.0 personally as I suspect the FR-V could do with all the extra help it can get to help shift it.

In terms of trim levels it'd be a toss up between the 2.0 sport and the 1.8 ex. Coming from a fully loaded CL9 I want to retain as many toys as possible. Such a shame about the lack of xenon headlights on the FR-V! Any helpful pointers welcome.

Quince

2. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Hello I'm a bewbie but I think 2.0 is an import only. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There are some UK registered 2.0's, quite rare though and even rarer are 2.0 autos.

Keep looking you will find them.

I'd say there is difference between the 2.0 and 1.8 but is it big enough for everyone to notice .. I'm not so sure.

4. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've decided on 2.0 Sport. Original petrol options were 1.7 and 2.0, both were later replaced by a single 1.8 option.

Having now driven the 2.0 on today's test drive and having previously driven a Civic with an R18 engine, I'm happy with my choice. FR-V ownership here I come

SpeedyGee likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Great minds think alike :Grin:

6. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

indeed! i think you may have got your transmissions the right way around though!

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yep, both are perfect for each car.