General petrol into my diesel CR-V

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by nsxer, Monday 6th Jul, 2015.

1. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

hi folks

just learned that my wife has put around 27 litres of fuel into our I-DTEC CR-V. there was at least 2 bar (fuel guage) of diesel in car before the petrol, I got her to then fill the tank to the full with diesel and then put engine oil in about 150ml worth in to it - i keep the castrol edge 1l bottle in the boot so its edge stuff in her. The car has driven about 3 mile and now is sitting on a driveway.

I have sought advice and so far most have said drive and keep topping up with diesel to dilute the petrol away and that I should be OK

But thought I would post here to see what others think.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Petrol in a high pressure common rail diesel engine can damage components, personally I would have opted to get it all sucked out.

I'm not sure how effective your countermeasures will be.

steve4536 and Nighthawk like this.
  3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

27 litres is a lot.Get it all out before it does any damage like fuel pump etc and change fuel filter ASAP.

steve4536, Nighthawk and SpeedyGee like this.
  4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I would have drained it all out personally, if you are unlucky, the injectors, pump, lines etc could be damaged The diesel fuel has a different lubricant in it that petrol does so the petrol may be less effective at preventing wear to the pump, let alone contaminating the lines or damaging injectors

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Not only that, petrol is solvent whereas diesel is oil based fuel, petrol will break down the diesel and destroy what lubrication properties that has too, as well as damaging seals.

AccordCU2 and Nighthawk like this.
  6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I would be relaxed about maybe 2 or 3 litres of petrol getting into a full tank of diesel, but I think 27 litres is too much.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  7. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks for replies.

I have decided to side with caution at this point and to get her drained. Hopefully no long term damage done on the 2-3 mile journey to where it's sitting at the moment. New fuel filter purchased as well

This goes against all the advice I have received from a couple of very good mechanics I know and trust ... But at the end of the day it's our car and modern diesels are a pain in the arse even if maintained properly. So biting the bullet and losing a full tank of fuel on top!

I hate diesels!!!!

8. Nighthawk Guest

I personally think thats a wise choice mate to get her drained despite the inconvience - a tank of wasted fuel is cheaper than starting to replace pumps, injectors etc.

9. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

It's the potential long term damage if any that may arise. I doubt very much that anything would have happened but as I said just gonna bite the bullet with the drain. No point risking more damage. Been doing some reading about it and for the most part the info says no long term damage can be done unless very unlucky. So just removing the doubt ...

The guy who is going to do the drain and come to collect car thought that based on my actions earlier I may be OK to drive on but I have opted to drain.

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    This would not have been so much of an issue with older diesel technologies, but the common rail system has very, very tight tolerances in the fuel pump and injectors.

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I think you made the right call mate, as others have said, I'd risk a few litres but 27 is just too much.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good call @nsxer I was concerned for the health of your engine when I read 27 litres. Get her drained, change the filter and then at least you have some peace of mind.

13. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Aye hopefully this will have no ramifications ... car was running fine for the small journey it did, so hoping that little to no contaminated fuel has got into the pump as yet. the guys are coming out today to do the drain and put some cleaner into the system to be sure and then put some proper fuel in.

NB. No idea what 'cleaner' is but its a professional service so presume they know what they are doing!

Better safe than sorry ... the almost 1/2 and 1/2 mixture was making me edgy hence my initial post on here

so hopefully everything will be OK and she is back on the road today

Will keep you posted

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Team HK to the rescue :neo: :Tongue:

DeviateDefiant and nsxer like this.
  15. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If you only did 2-3 miles then that would have used less than 0.3 litre, which is almost certainly less than the combined fuel line and fuel filter capacity, so I really doubt that any petrol contamination reached the engine. I honestly think everything will be fine.

Nighthawk and SpeedyGee like this.
  16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

17. Nighthawk Guest

Anyway, being a Honda, it will bounce back anyway. You could feed it unicorn urine and it would still run I am sure

18. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hopefully this is the case ... i would be EXTREMELY surprised and shocked if anything at all has happened to the internals at this point in time. Certainly does not relate to what we know about Honda engines if properly maintained and this car gets serviced every 6k! It wants for nothing

Will know more this afternoon and hopefully the car will be as sound as a pound as it was prior to the mishap. Just need to get the fuel filter replaced ASAP

Nighthawk likes this.
  19. Nighthawk Guest

My Accord is the same, there is absolutely nothing at all that she wants for. I feel like I have neglected her a bit as any mechanical attention is now on the missus EP2 which still have a fair way to come until I am happy with it, but there is absolutely nothing at all wrong with the Accord. In fact, its getting a new present this week at some point just because I want to, the Civic is getting the same present. (supposed to be saving money on solicitor fees, but hey, solicitors...pfffttt, they can wait)

20. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Zebster and Nighthawk like this.