In-Depth Petrol Oil Filter Changes

Discussion in 'Technical Articles' started by Ichiban, Thursday 30th Oct, 2014.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How many owners here prime their new oil filter with fresh oil before screwing it back on to the engine? Even Diesel owners?

I have been doing ever since I replaced my first oil change back in late 80's. My method is just keep on pouring oil into the filter until it get so saturated the oil is mid way in the core. The filter holds 175-200 ml before it gets saturated,So just pour 4 liters into the Accord you will never over fill your engine and most importantly it does not run dry for the vital few seconds when the car is started.

It takes a good 15-20 minutes for the oil to get soaked into the paper filters so don't rush it.

IMG_2567.JPG IMG_2568.JPG IMG_2571.JPG

Sprockutt likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yes I prime the filters before putting them on.

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I used to on my petrol cars, but can't prime the diesel oil filters like that unfortunately due to their open design.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Soak em mate then put it in

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    true, to be honest, never thought of doing that.... :blush:

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've seen lots of people prime oil filters like that, but never bothered myself, next oil change I do, I'll probably do this, but its abit awkward where the oil filter is on the back of the engine.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You don't need to brim it to the top, just fill it and leave to soak for a while.

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hadn't really thought about it before, but it is logical.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @SpeedyGee can you fabricate a oil drain off pan like this for the 7th Generation .its got strong magnets to hold it in place. its to divert oil off the block into a drain pan and off the CV half shaft on removal.

Check it out the TSK) has its VIN number attached to the block ? eh what ? is that a CM5 what I can see?

oildeflector-accord.