Engine & Gearbox Petrol smell in oil

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by 2.4 8thGen, Saturday 18th Jun, 2016.

1. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    As the title says Iv got a smell of petrol in my engine oil.
    Oil has been changed 2 weeks ago and the sell is still there.
    The car has not lost any performance and no problem with emissions with MOT last week.
    No fault codes and fuel MPG the same as always.
    Apart from piston rings what else would cause this and should I be worried.
    I was thinking a leaking injector seal.

2. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    With the injectors being in the manifold I would think that a leaking seal would cause an issue with the AFR.

If the performance hasn't been affected in any way then it might be something else that causes a similar smell.

Might be exhaust getting trapped in the crankcase, without looking at the ESM not sure of the crankcase purging on this engine.

3. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I do a lot of short journeys in the week so thus won't help.
    But on the weekends I do a lot of motorway driving so this should burn any smell off I would have thought.
    Iv also taken off the oil catch can as with the extra length of hoses this might be causing breathing problems or fumes not escaping.

4. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There's a PCV valve (positive crankcase ventilation) maybe that's not letting the crankcase gasses out sufficiently

5. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Good shout Jim.
    When I took off the oil catch can I did check the hose that connects into the air intake for positive air coming out and there was but maybe not the amount there should be.
    TBO what worries me is piston rings letting fuel past as my car has always used about 750m of oil between 6 k oil changes.
    Also on the USA forums for the Acura TSX there is a TSB for high oil usage.
    The cause is oil deposits in the rings.
    Now whether this affects our cars I'm not sure as there is only a few CU2 in the country

https://www.cars.com/articles/2009-11-acura-tsx-piston-issues-1420681239401/

6. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If the MPG is ok, and it passed the MOT, then the AFR (air fuel ratio) is ok ....so there isn't any fuel getting into the oil. What you can smell is exhaust gasses mixed in with the oil, so either the PCV isn't opening sufficiently, or (as you suggest) the piston rings are a bit clogged/worn ...or possibly both issues.

No idea if the engine in the Acura TSX is the same as over here, fundamentally I would expect the block and cylinders/pistons to be the same, so a TSB over there should apply over here. Might be worth contacting HUK ?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There is no HUK TSB for the same I have been using 0w-20 and oil is changed at 4K miles regularly and I haven't seen these symptoms but this TSB is worrying to say the least. I wonder what is the fix a half block engine?

The yank TSX engine is more or less identical to us, so would Honda release this TSB here when the petrol numbers are low.. is anyone guess.

8. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I think it's a case there are hundreds of CU2 in the states and only a handful in the uk.
    Reading the TXS forums Honda will only honour the TSB if using more than a quart of oil every 1000 miles.
    My car has always used oil between oil changes from day 1 but nothing like the USA.
    The car is on 70k now and still drives the same with no blue smoke or loss of performance so its very odd.
    It might pay to get a compression test done to see the condition of my rings

Ichiban likes this.
  9. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's worth getting a compression test done on each cylinder just to be sure.

Let's hope it's the PCV valve and nothing else.

2.4 8thGen likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A leak down test will be better than a compression test personally.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :whathesaid:

12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's a good job that speedy and CJ aren't in the NHS ....NHS would cost even more LOL
    "doctor. I think I'm constipated"
    "might be cancer, need to send you to have an endoscope put up your jacksie"
    "aren't there any simple tests you can do here"
    "well I could, but best look at the worst situation before we try the simpler checks"

Here is the compression test guide for the CU2/K24Z on the ESM
    (ESM contains standard tests at GP's surgery Honda dealer)

CU2_compression_test.JPG

Compression on K24Z should be above 135 psi, max variation on all cylinders 28 psi

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

@jimjams having theoretical knowledge is great but having practical experience is even better.

I have both a compression tester and a leak down tester in my garage, the compression tester just sits there gathering dust, whilst the leak down tester is used every time I need to diagnose such issues.

A compression test only gives you a rough idea and even then the results can be misinterpreted. A leak down tester is more informative and you can even see (or rather hear) where the leakage is going to).

@2.4 8thGen I'd offer to do a free leak test for you if I could spare you sometime
    Drop me a PM Brett.

hondream and Ichiban like this.
  14. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

but, and this is a big but, if @2.4 8thGen has full Honda Service History, then he needs to take the car to a dealer (presumably HH because that's who he tends to use) and get them to perform the very test that is in the Honda ESM.

If it fails the test that is in the Honda ESM, then he can ask them to stop at point 13 in the ESM ("if the compression is not within specifications, check the following ....etc") and then consult with HUK to see if they are prepared for step 13 to be undertaken at the expense of HUK.

If you can find anywhere in the Honda ESM that gives a spec using a leak down tester, then I am incorrect in assuming that the compression test in the Honda ESM is the metric that Honda recommends.

btw if it was my car, and if you made the same offer to me, I would gladly accept, because my car has not been to a Honda dealer for about 5 years now :Wink:

15. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have noticed this smell of petrol once when I was checking oil on my car.
    Just been out now to check and I can't smell petrol at all.

Mine also burn about half a litre between changes but I suppose it's because I use 0w 20.When I used Fuchs 5w 40 I haven't noticed any loss of oil.

Hope it's nothing serious Brett.

jimjams likes this.
  16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'm not going to get into a long debate here but I agree that going to Honda first would be the best approach.

Oil usage of only 750ml in 6K miles (125ml/1000 miles) is absolutely fine and well within what could be termed excessive oil consumption.

Petrol smell in oil would be down to either a faulty injector or over fuelling by the ECU. There's no check engine light mentioned by Brett so it will be deliberate over fuelling by the engine.
    If Brett is only doing short journeys then this will lead to getting petrol smell in the oil, the K series engines do over fuel during warm up. Nothing that Brett has said indicates that there are piston ring issues.

17. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's the whole point, no need to suspect anything serious at all. But for peace of mind, he might want to get a compression test done as per the Honda ESM.

Note that he implies that this issue is a recent change, and that MPG is unaffected. So if the issue is "real" and MPG is unchanged, then something is going on, possibly PCV valve, possibly something else, maybe something that no-one will ever find a reason for.

18. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

A faulty injector was my 1st thought as I can hear a slight tapping noise coming from where the injectors are seated.

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That would lead to over fuelling though which would be picked up by the ECU.

You could remove the spark plugs and check the colouring. See if one is blacker than the others.

20. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Plugs were changed 2 weeks ago on service and all looked the same and in good condition.
    Also if fuel was getting into the oil wouldn't this show on the level on dip stick