Fuel Efficiency Petrol vs Diesel CR-V fuel economy

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by FirstHonda, Friday 27th Nov, 2015.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

There has been some debate on another thread (see below) about pretty disappointing economy on the new 1.6 I-DTEC automatic.

http://hondakarma.com/threads/fuel-economy.18432/live

As an owner of the 2.0 i-VTEC automatic, I thought it would be useful to start a thread for members with any of the 4th Generation CR-V engine / transmission combinations to log their fuel economy, especially as on other threads I've seen some excellent numbers for the 'old' 2.2 I-DTEC.

After 3k miles, my CR-V is showing a trip computer average of 35.6 MPG, although I would note that the first 2.5k miles were all very short, local journeys.

What I've found is that, when driven within the national speed limits, the 2.0 litre petrol/auto is quite a surprising thing from an economy perspective, easily returning 40mpg on any sort of a longer run.

Today, I travelled 97 miles, covering the first 30 miles on the M4, then the remainder on A and B-roads. Although I travelled outside of rush hour, I had to navigate notorious traffic 'blackspots' such as Swindon (which was fine, albeit a lot of roundabouts), Oxford (where there was the usual 3 mile queue on the A34 approaching the M40) and lastly Aylesbury. That meant that there was quite a bit of stop start during the journey, which inevitably reduced the final economy figure.

The end result - driving without much thought about economy - was 42.3mpg. That seems to be pretty typical, although I've managed 44.1mpg on the same journey when really trying. At one point on the journey today, about 50 miles in and prior to the A34 traffic jam, the computer was showing an achieved MPG of 46.5mpg! :gohonda:

I'm very, VERY, pleased with the economy which is far better than I expected. When added to the smooth and quiet drive, and the cost saving on purchase price over the diesel, you might say that I'm pretty happy with my CR-V choice...:Grin:

What have other owners managed for either I-DTEC or i-VTEC?

IMG_0170.
    - - - Updated - - -
    @DeviateDefiant / @staff - the gremlins are back - for some reason this thread has been posted twice! And since I'm using my iMAC I know I didn't hit the 'submit' button twice!

Could you delete one of them please?

jimjams likes this.
  2. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I'm at just over 2500 miles since acquiring the car new at the end of May with 8 miles on the clock. I'll report the overall consumption figures when I fill it up, probably this coming Wednesday. But I think it is about where yours is with mid 30's. It has had over 40 on the average consumption read out during one particular journey but that didn't reflect itself in the overall average consumption figure at that time.

Anyway I'm pleased with mid 30's it's about what I expected and fairly in line with the published figures. It might well improve with more miles completed. I'll give some more comprehensive figures next week.

By the way, I do like the screen shot in the post, it looks a lot better than the system I have. Is yours a 2015 (mine's an end of line 2014).

Keith

PS - I meant to say that that mileage was achieved with Eco mode permanently on and driving very sheepishly. I doubt it would have got anywhere near that if I drove it the way I used to drive my Yeti which I really booted and always had over 50 as an average. It was however a 2 litre diesel.

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Keith,

Mine is a 2014MY (same as yours) but the EX and SR Navi have a different sat nav unit to the SE-T and Black/White editions.

I believe (but am willing to be corrected) that the S-T / SE-T / Black / White models had an aftermarket navigation unit fitted after initial build whereas the EX and SR Navi have the top spec Honda navigation system fitted at the factory, which includes the hard drive that automatically copies CDs to it when they are loaded.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Should add that my economy was also achieved with the 'Eco' mode on (I've never turned it off, can't see why I would as the car still shifts if you need it to).

I only use BP petrol, and the higher octane version too. I find it hard to get less than 40mpg on a long run, and don't drive with economy in mind in order to achieve that. Mind you, I do always stick to the speed limit, and accelerate gently.

My VW Tiguan 2.0 litre diesel with DSG struggled to match these figures, usually achieving only late 30's MPG even on a long run...but then again, that was a pile of poo as a car, with a broken gearbox (which is a common fault) a dodgy touchscreen, a hole in the drivers carpet, and a drivers seat which was frayed on the bolster - all within just 40k gentle miles from new. And that's without mentioning the terrible paintwork quality and numerous trim rattles.

Best of all, the VW dealer response to all this - with the car under warranty - "That's just normal wear and tear, sir. They all do that."

Terrible car, terrible build, terrible reliability. Never again will I go near a shonky VAG product.

4. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    In contrast to your experience, the Yeti was a brilliant car, 4x4, economical, well built, quiet, very well equipped and comfortable. The only reason I got rid of it was to avoid the problems that arise when you mix EGR valves, EGR coolers, DPF's and now Adblue, with the low mileage that I do. That's also not to mention the problems that seem to arise with DMF's.

I also wanted an automatic (that definitely wasn't a DSG) and a bigger cargo area, which the CR-V delivers admirably.

Keith

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The third time my Tiguan broke down (after the replacement gearbox) the recovery man told me to get rid of it as '...I see nothing but trouble with these, they just aren't reliable.'

The odd thing is that, as your experience bears out, Skodas seem to be much better made and more reliable even though they use essentially the same drivetrains that cause so many known issues with VW and Audi.

Anyway, I'm a Honda man now, so perhaps I should thank VW for selling me such a poor car and helping me to see the light :Laughing:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @FirstHonda don't worry we are on the case. My making steady progress, we now know the root cause, the site is having trouble passing URL links to the site itself.
    It tries to fetch the title of the page/thread being linked to so that it can create a hyperlink. This for some reason it's hanging, in the meantime the user thinks the post failed to submit and hist Submit Reply again, resulting in multiple posts.

We just need work why the hyperlink creation is hanging.

7. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    My 'old' 2013 CR-V I-DTEC 2.2 manual is improving MPG over the months. I am not surprised as I understand these engines need to settle down mileage wise, and I have only just reached over 11K, Econ always off, mostly Motorway at legal speeds, with an occasional third gear full throttle to pass Nissan Micra's on B roads. 53 MPG regular, with either BP or Shell. (I think Shell has the edge by the way). This MPG figure is not a huge improvement on when new (48-50) but I expect it to at least get to 55.

My wife runs a 1.8 VTEC Civic (2010) Auto. We can regularly get 44mpg on a good run. On a bad run well down into the 20's.

My 1999 Accord 1.8LS: I expect 37mpg on a run, and again into the 20's for short and urban trips

Phil

8. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nothing new to report with my CR-V. Economy in town and around the lanes is acceptable, economy on the motorway is pathetic when exceeding 60mph. Use of advanced fuels boosts economy by up to 10%.
    image.

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

In the interests of (sort of) science, today I did the exact same journey as referenced in the first post of this thread but WITHOUT the 'econ' button on.

I've hardly ever used my CR-V with 'econ' off since I've had it - as I can't see the point. The drive is pretty much the same, except if you do want to kick down you have to be firmer with the accelerator. And after today I will continue to use 'econ.'

To confirm - same journey, same time, and with similar traffic. Weather pretty much the same too, perhaps a bit windier today. Same fuel (BP Ultimate) filled before I started as it was on the previous journey. I drove in the same way as I usually do, that is, not with a focus on economy but keeping to the speed limits and generally driving calmly (life's too short to rush about without good reason!).

So, the only change was driving with 'econ' off instead of on.

The result shocked me when I looked upon arrival. Last week, 42.3mpg with 'econ' on. Today 37.0mpg with 'econ' off.

Blimey! It must be doing quite a bit in the background. Shows the value of it I guess, previously I admit I thought it was probably a bit of a gimmick...

10. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    Just to give my own perception/opinion of Econ mode button.

When economy mode is on and when I drive on highway I paddle shift down when on slopes because the CR-V 2.0 petrol automatic otherwise looses speed on 5th gear.

I rarely use econ mode on for this reason.

On ICE or off road I would never use economy mode on. There you need better AWD response and better torque performance. (of which upto 40% goes to the rear wheels as described lately by Acura RDX AWD which is supposed to be same with CR-Vs' AWD system).

"Additionally, the RDX’s standard all-wheel-drive system has been tuned for greater rear torque bias by sending up to 40% of the torque to the rear wheels, further enhancing stability and performance on pavement."
    source: Acura RDX 2016 - View Specs, Prices, Photos & More | Driving.ca

I get on average fuel consumption of 10 km/l with Econ mode off.

Last edited: Wednesday 2nd Dec, 2015
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

If you need to maintain speed on an incline does it not just drop down a gear automatically @PanayiotisPal ?

I never use the paddles as I don't see a need. Mine just drops one gear, or more if I kick down to accelerate.

155695 likes this.
  12. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

FirstHonda,
    For the petrol 2.0 It takes long to shift down. I loose 6-8 km before the automatic gear change kicks in. Imagine this in real time when there are cars behind you. I usually don't drop fully the accelerator but still this gear change is slow when on econ mode even with accelerator fully kicked down, though this is not the way I am used to, that is why I paddle shift down a gear.

On the contrary with econ mode off there is no speed decrease when driving up a highway slope as the accelerator pedal is more responsive..

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Interesting. I'd assumed my CR-V was the same as yours @PanayiotisPal (2.0 litre petrol/auto) but what you describe is quite different.

Perhaps the 'mapping' (not sure what the right word is, but hopefully you know what I mean!) of the gearbox ratios is different on UK cars? Certainly on mine it drops very quickly and causes no such issues on the motorway, and it maintains speed exactly the same when cruise is on without any delay.

I wonder why Honda would set up the 'same' car differently for different markets?

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  14. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yes same CR-V, almost 40,000 km. Is there a way to check the mapping gear change ratios 1st to 5th when economy mode is ON, just to verify if Cyprus was treated differently compared to UK???

15. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Right, returning to the original post, just filled up and the average MPG, measured on a brim to brim basis, over the 2604 miles since new is 34.2. This mileage is virtually all on local A and B roads with an average journey distance of between 10 to 20 miles. The only longish journey I've done is to the Isle of Wight and back which was about 150 miles each way.

The 34.2 figure is a bit lower than that showing on the car but I suppose that's to be expected. Interestingly, since I filled up yesterday, I have done 3 journeys one about 11 miles and 2 about 5 and the car is now showing consistently over 37 MPG as an average, which it has never done before. I don't know if this is anything to do with the winter tyres it's now got on it (thankfully absolutely no problems from the DWS from the winter set up).

While I'm on here but in relation to a totally unconnected matter, does anybody know what the small flap on the gear shift housing, roughly in line with the "D" position and on its right. It looks like it could have a mini usb connector port or something similar underneath it (I haven't looked). It's shown in the handbook on the page that deals with the gear selection but there is no mention of what it is that I can find.

Keith

FirstHonda likes this.
  16. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Keith
    You mention that you are now on winter tyres. There are some tyres that are more efficient, but I also wonder whether you are running them at the same pressure. I understand that lower pressure = more rolling resistance = higher consumption.
    Cheers

FirstHonda likes this.
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@155695 - regarding the small covered flap by the gear lever. I had assumed it must be either covering a screw that removes the trim around the unit, or is access to the bulb that lights up the selector.

I would remove it and have a look, but I'll probably break something!

18. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Mike

Your suspicions are correct. In line with Nokian (and I believe other cold weather tyre manufacturers), I am running them at 0.2 bar higher than the summer Yokohamas.

It will be interesting to see if the improvement continues because nothing else has changed. I'll update in due course.

Keith

PS - 1st Honda, sounds like your suggestion may well be correct. I did have a tentative go at removing the cover with a small screwdriver but there was a fair bit of resistance, so I bottled out for the same reason you mention.

FirstHonda likes this.
  19. scrambled Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England scrambled Manchester
    the cover near the gear shift I read it in the hand book, is is used to unlock gear shift leaver when it is jammed. use a screwdriver to take up then insert screwdriver or key etc.

FirstHonda likes this.
  20. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Thanks for that - I still can't find it but I don't have to now!

Keith