Off-Topic Photography software

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Duc de Pommfrit, Sunday 13th Dec, 2015.

1. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Im looking for a new photoshop software, someone has recommended Lighroom?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I know Leo uses light room a lot and its a very good software. Tag him mate

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I use lightroom a lot, it's more of a "whole photo" editing program although it does have local editing tools but not to the same extent as photoshop. But for global changes to each photograph it's very powerful. Much better for editing a whole set etc and ensuring consistenty.

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I use Photoshop Elements and Lightroom. If it is 'photoshop software' then Elements is likely to be closer to your requirements than Lightroom.

Adobe Creative Cloud subscription will get you full Photoshop and Lightroom, complete with all future updates etc for £8.57 per month

Lightroom and Photoshop | Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan

5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The thing with Adobe products is that you now have to pay subscription, which is BS. I would look into the free alternatives they might do what you want. I use combination of GIMP, Photoscape and Faststone.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm guessing it's to combat piracy, can you buy the older versions new online?

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Sounds dubious to me, they just want to make more money, its a PITA to use where I work as no one wants to use it anymore due to its cost and subscription. I guess you could buy old ones if they are still in stock.

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Depends on what type of editing you require.
    As @ArcticFire mentioned, Lightroom is good for editing the whole photo like increasing brightness, contrast, applying filters etc. If you want to retouch the photo, Photoshop elements is consumer grade. The full Photoshop might be an overkill.
    There are many free alternatives that are very good like @exec's recommendation: GIMP.
    Other free options: Paint.net and Pixlr
    I personally use Pixlr for quick edits for Facebook. For work i use full Photoshop.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  9. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    @DeviateDefiant

10. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    I use Corel Paint Shop Pro X6. Cheaper than the well known brands and just as powerful. Best part of it for me is that it has a little studio built in where all the basics, such as contrast, brightness, colour, graphs, straighten, crop etc are easily corrected by technophobe idiots like me. It has lots more complicated things as well, but I neither use or need them. I think you can download a free 28 day trial from Corel's website

Phil