Engine & Gearbox Pinking noise

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Old Cruiser, Tuesday 28th Apr, 2015.

1. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    was stuck in traffic tonight due to an M4 incident and was all stop start for nigh on 1 1/2 hours absolute nightmare!LOL anyway when traffic finally started moving, and was able to put my foot down , engine was rattling like a bugger sounded just like pinking if any remembers that old scenario with the old cars!! the fan had come on and off god knows how many times in that traffic so engine was obviously pretty damn hot, so wondering if that had anything to do with it all, once I'd managed to get running at decent speeds and engine returning to normal temp' the pinking noise under load seemed to have disappeared, would love to know if others have found this, with theirs in particular the 2.0 petrol variant.
    Cheers Pete

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Are you sure it was pinking, it would sound like a right bag of spanners if it did.

I've not heard of K series engines with this issue. The knock sensor would retard timing if it sensed any knocking/pinking.

What temp was the needle showing ?

What fuel do you put in her ?

3. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Got to say it did sound like a right bag of spanners, more noticeable when I pulled away from a set of traffic lights during this bad traffic yesterday, although today was absolutely fine, did a few rapid pull aways and no rattling , so can only put it down to a really hot engine , Temp gauge however was reading normal, with the fuel only use decent stuff namely Shell 95 or esso 95 and occasionally BP 95, certainly don't touch super market stuff , had issues with that some years ago and won't touch it again!!LOL
    Cheers Pete

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sounds like clogged fuel filter running cheap ass bottom of the barrel fuel.
    Change both of them it will never knock.

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    How many miles has your car done @Old Cruiser ? Fuel filter is over due on an 06 accord if it hasn't been replaced before. Could be a blocked strainer.

6. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Thanks guys will get that fuel filter changed @Beefy the car has done 58,000 miles mate, looking at the previous service history there's no mention of fuel filter having been changed so as you say probably way overdue, are we talking about the fuel filter under the car at the rear somewhere or the fuel tank one?
    Cheers Pete

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    There is only one and it's in tank. You have to remove the cushion base of the rear seats to access. I should imagine there is a diy somewhere.

8. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Thanks mate, found a DIY for the tourer, but should imagine it's pretty much the same?
    Cheers Pete

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yes it is.

10. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Thanks mate